Develop your interests in a new subject area, get support with returning to study, learn about the city of Bristol or develop your sports skills. We offer a range of courses and opportunities, online and in-person, so you can learn at the University throughout your life.
On this page
- Courses and professional qualifications
- Return to study
- Research focused on the city of Bristol
- Sports classes
- Learn at events
Courses and professional qualifications
Take courses at the University so you can develop skills and knowledge in a new subject area, or enhance your career development with professional qualifications:
- Explore a wide range of Creative Writing and English Literature courses through the Department of English's short courses.
- Become qualified in gardening and horticulture through the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) professional courses at the University of Bristol Botanic Garden. The Botanic Garden also holds workshops and courses through the year.
- Explore a wide range of apprenticeships through our eXcelBristol apprenticeship programme.
- Discover free online courses for external learners about: sustainable futures, global citizenship, and innovation and enterprise. Register with FutureLearn.
Return to study
We offer courses to help you prepare to return to study as a mature student, if you have not followed a standard path through education.
- Our short courses help you prepare for further study on a foundation or degree course.
- The STEM Up online short course gives you the opportunity to experience what it's like to study a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) subject at university.
- Building up to Bristol is an online course over three days. It will help you prepare for undergraduate study by working with peers to feel confident understanding academic language and culture.
- Return to education with our year-long introductory foundation courses, designed to prepare you for an undergraduate degree without prior qualifications.
Research focused on the city of Bristol
- Explore and research Bristol history with Know your Bristol. In this project, the University, Bristol City Council and several Bristol community groups collaborate to record, share and celebrate the city’s heritage and culture.
- Experience artefacts from the University’s different collections in one place, virtually. Explore our virtual museum The Uncertain Space using a smartphone, web browser or Virtual Reality headset. You can use a Virtual Reality headset at our Theatre Collection Reading Rooms.
Discover University sports and exercise facilities open to the public.
Exercise classes and personal training sessions
Classes include Community Exercise, a supported programme particularly suited for those with any health or mobility issues.
Download the Active Online app to book your class.
Swimming lessons and courses
Book swimming lessons and courses for adults and children at the University pool in the Richmond Building in Clifton. We offer courses for beginners and more advanced swimmers.
Learn at events
Attend events at or run by the University and learn from our experts and the wider community.