The University swimming pool has six lanes and a moveable bulkhead, creating a competition-length main pool, alongside a comfortable teaching pool for lessons. The pool is available to students, staff and the community for lane and casual swimming, or lessons, on a membership or pay-as-you-go basis.
From 4 September - 17 December 2023. Lane and casual swim sessions available 7 days a week.
From 18 December 2023 - 7 January 2024.
About the pool
The University of Bristol swimming pool is 32 metres long at full length. The pool has a moveable bulkhead which enables us to create two distinct area for activity; a larger area is a 25-metre competition length swimming pool, and a smaller teaching pool for lessons and casual swimming.
During lane swimming sessions, the main pool is split into six lanes. Casual swim sessions will feaure one narrow lane in the main pool, and swimmers in this session will also have access to the smaller teaching pool.
The depth of the pool ranges from 1.2 metres at its most shallow point to 3.8 metres at the deep end.
University of Bristol students and staff non-members benefit from discounted pay-as-you-go prices.
Swimming lessons and courses
We offer a range of programmes and courses which follow the Swim England Swim Stages, including adult swimming lessons. We also offer various aquatic sport activities for juniors and teens.
Take on the Mission Inflatable for the ultimate children’s pool activity. Have fun, play and race each other on the inflatable course during one of our bookable sessions.
Free swimming during pregnancy
Hire the pool
Health and safety information
Health and Safety guidelines
- Please ensure a 1:1 adult-to-child ratio for children under 4 years.
- Please ensure a 1:2 adult-to-child ratio for children age 4 -11 years.
- Children under 11 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- Babies should wear leak-proof water nappies.
- All swimmers should shower before entering the pool.
- We recommend not swimming within 48-hours of having any sickness.
- Please inform lifeguards of any medical conditions before entering the pool.
- Speak to a member of staff if you have any concerns.
Pay as you go
Many of our facilities can be accessed on a pay as you go basis.
Student group or community club hire
If you are a student group or community club please fill in our enquiry form.