Returning Carers' Scheme (RCS)
The purpose of the Returning Carers’ Scheme (RCS) is to support academic staff in re-establishing their independent research careers on their return from extended leave for reasons connected to caring (such as maternity leave, adoption leave, shared parental leave or leave to care for a dependant).
In order to be eligible for the RCS, you must be due to go on, currently be on, or have returned from one of the following types of leave:
- Maternity leave
- Shared parental leave
- Adoption leave
- Additional paternity leave
- Leave to care for a dependant.
This leave must be a continuous period of 16 weeks.
You need to explain the impact the leave has had on your research activity and how access to scheme funds will help you to re-establish your independent research career.
Applications for funding will be considered on a case-by-case basis, taking into account your circumstances and needs, and in accordance with the following criteria:
- Awards will be made only where it is clear that there is no other external source of funding (such as grant funding).
- Awards will be capped at £10k unless the circumstances are deemed to be exceptional.
- Awards will be made only for purposes identified in the application.
- The application for funding fits with University (and faculty and school) research priorities and will benefit the independent research career of the applicant.
- Priority will be given to those who are requesting funds for the first time.
- If the total funding requested exceeds available funds, awards will be given to those requests that the Panel considers will have the most impact.
- Direct childcare costs will not be considered.
- There will be no right of appeal against the panel’s decision.
- No support will be approved for expenditure following the end of a contract of employment.
The Returning Carer's Scheme runs continuously throughout the year, therefore there is no fixed deadline. However, applications can only be made by members of staff who have returning from caring-related leave within the last three months, are currently on caring-related leave or are due to go on caring-related leave.
A completed application will need to be approved by the following:
- Head of School
- Faculty Research Director
- Faculty HR Manager
- Diversity & Inclusion Manager
Funding must be spent within the financial year and subsequent years as indicated by the applicant in the application form.