School of Mathematics moves into the restored Fry Building 4 September 2019 Staff and postgraduates have moved into the Fry Building, the new home for Mathematics, ahead of the start of term.
- Shepp-Olkin entropy monotonicity proof uncovered 11 November 2019 Professor Oliver Johnson has proved a 40-year old conjecture on the random distribution of a coin toss.
- Professor Elmer Rees, 1941-2019 30 October 2019 It is with great sadness that we note the death of Professor Elmer Rees.
- 'Almost impossible' 66-year-old maths puzzle solved 19 September 2019 The sum-of-three-cubes for the number 3 has been solved by Professor Andrew Booker and MIT's Professor Andrew Sutherland.
- Sum of three cubes for 42 finally solved 9 September 2019 Hot on the heels of the ground-breaking ‘Sum-Of-Three-Cubes’ solution for the number 33, a team led by Bristol's Professor Andrew Booker and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has solved the final piece of the famous 65-year-old maths puzzle with an answer for the most elusive number of all - 42.
- School of Mathematics moves into the restored Fry Building 4 September 2019 Staff and postgraduates have moved into the Fry Building, the new home for Mathematics, ahead of the start of term.
- Silver medal for first-year Mathematics student 6 August 2019 Nikita Poljakov was part of the undergraduate team competing in the 2019 International Mathematics Competition (IMC), held in Bulgaria.
- Congratulations to all our graduates 1 August 2019 Following the ceremonies this past week in the iconic Wills Memorial Building's, the School of Mathematics is delighted to welcome its newest batch of graduates.
- Bristol awarded £8.4 million to strengthen quantum research programmes 11 July 2019 The University of Bristol has been awarded an £8.4 million share of £94 million funding announced yesterday by the Science Minister, Chris Skidmore, for the UK’s Quantum Technologies Research Hubs.
- Students head to Bulgaria for the International Mathematics Competition 4 July 2019 The final team of students going through to the International Mathematics Competition (IMC) has now been selected.
- Subjects at the University of Bristol are world-class, new league table confirms 26 June 2019 Research and teaching in key areas at the University of Bristol is among the best in the world, according to a new international league table.