SCONUL Access visitors
What is SCONUL Access
SCONUL Access is a reciprocal scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals at other libraries which belong to the scheme. The scheme covers most of the university libraries in the UK and Ireland.
To qualify for SCONUL Access, you must be in good standing with your home library (i.e. have no outstanding fines or overdue books).
SCONUL Access for visitors to the University of Bristol Library
We allow all SCONUL Access visitors to use the Arts & Social Sciences Library without applying.
You can use the space for study between 8am and 8pm.
Bring your authorisation email and a form of ID to then be able to complete a form to recieve a visitor day pass.
Access will be suspensed during times of year when we feel particular pressure (e.g. the assessment period), with any service updates written at the top of this page.
Register for borrowing
SCONUL Access visitors (except full-time undergraduates) can also apply for a borrowing card.
This will allow you to:
- Borrow up to 5 books simultaneously
- Access to the Arts and Social Sciences Library and Wills Memorial Library
You can register for a borrowing card by emailing email@example.com with:
- a copy of your SCONUL email of authorisation
- a completed SCONUL Access Application Form 2022 (Office document, 31kB)
- a scan or digital photo of the front and back of your university/library ID card
- a recent, colour, passport-style photograph of yourself as jpeg attachment
What happens next
- We will issue you with a University of Bristol SCONUL borrowing card within 10 working days of receiving all necessary documents.
- We will email you when the card is ready to collect from our Information Desk in the Arts and Social Sciences Library.
- We will email you your library account details.
- Important: You can borrow or reserve books from the Arts & Social Sciences library. Any print items from our other libraries (whether available or out on loan) must be requested via our Book Retrieval Service
Using other university libraries
University of Bristol staff and students can access the libraries of over 200 UK and Ireland universities. Register online for SCONUL Access.
How to check if the book you need is available. How to confirm that you will be able to access it.