International sponsored students
International sponsored students need to provide the University with a sponsorship letter when registering.
Deadline for student sponsor letters
You must provide your sponsor letter by the deadlines below or you will be invoiced for all tuition fees.
Pre-sessional 10 week course: 5 June 2023
Pre-sessional 6 week course: 3 July 2023
Find out how to submit your sponsor letter online.
What an international sponsored student is
You are an international sponsored student if you are an overseas fee payer who is funded by an organisation to attend the University of Bristol. This does not include University of Bristol scholarships, UKRI scholarships, US Federal Student loans or a private loan from a bank, unless it's part of a specific scholarship scheme such as FIDERH or FUNED.
Sponsorship could be to cover part or all of your course or programme fees and/or living costs from one of the following:
- your home government
- the British Council
- an international organisation or company
- an international university
A sponsor is not a family member or friend who has agreed to pay your tuition fees.
What your sponsor letter needs to include
Your sponsor letter or Financial Guarantee letter confirms your sponsor's commitment for funding.
This letter must be on official headed paper from your sponsor’s organisation, and must include:
- your name
- your programme or course of study
- the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
- the official stamp of your official financial sponsor
- the date the letter was issued
- the length of the sponsorship and which academic years it’s valid for
- either the amount of sponsorship and breakdown of what it is to be applied to, for example tuition fees and/or bench fees
- or that the sponsor will meet the full cost of tuition fees and any additional course/programme
If no breakdown is provided, we will apply the full amount to tuition fees and any remaining to bench fees (if applicable). It is your responsibility to provide this breakdown from your sponsor.
How to submit your sponsor letter
Email your sponsor letter to International Partnerships and Relations at email@example.com. You must provide your sponsor letter by the deadline or you will be invoiced for all tuition fees.
If you cannot submit your letter by the deadline, email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain your circumstances. You will be considered liable for all fees until we receive your sponsor letter.
You must provide your sponsor letter by the given deadline at the beginning of each academic year. Send your sponsor letter to email@example.com.
The deadline to submit your Sponsor Letter for 2023 will be confirmed in the summer.
If you cannot submit it by this date, email firstname.lastname@example.org to explain your circumstances. Note that you will be considered liable for all fees until we receive your sponsor letter.
Sponsored student's responsibilities
- Submit your sponsor letter or Financial Guarantee letter (FGL) to email@example.com at the beginning of each academic year before the given deadline. Failure to submit the letter will result in you being liable for the course/programme fees for that year.
- Comply with any requests made by your sponsor. This might include uploading a student status letter, uploading a copy of an invoice or uploading a document to specify other costs.
- We will only invoice your sponsor for costs explicitly mentioned on the FGL. If there are mistakes or corrections needed to your FGL, it is your responsibility to get this corrected and submit a new letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- It is your responsibility that your fees are paid by you and/or your sponsor. If your sponsor fails to pay, the debt may be transferred to you and could prevent graduation.
- It is your responsibility to understand and follow the Terms and Conditions of your sponsor’s award to you. These may vary in some instances to the University’s own regulations, such as rules on suspensions and extensions.
Student status letters
You may need to submit a student status letter to your sponsor as proof of registration or to confirm your tuition fees (and bench fees if applicable) for the year. You can generate a letter online.
If you need your tuition fees to be included, you will need to ask for a bespoke letter.
International sponsored students
Read our policy outlining the responsibilities of international sponsored students. This policy covers the agreements and processes related to international sponsored students and invoicing international sponsors.
Financial Guarantee Letters
Please forward your letter to email@example.com