Late or missed payments

What to do if you think you are going to be late making a payment or if you have missed a payment date.

Difficulty paying fees

If you are in financial difficulty, we will try to agree a payment plan with you that you can afford. Submit a request for an alternative payment plan.

Alternative payment plans can only be set up when the invoice is available in your financial statement. If you apply before this, we will set up your plan within 5 days of the invoice being available, subject to plan approval.

You may also wish to speak to the Student Funding Office about their financial hardship funds

Missed payments

If you miss a payment, you will be contacted within 7 days of the payment due date and asked to pay by another method.

If you are able to, you should make a payment immediately in your financial statement. If you are unable to pay, you can submit a request for an alternative payment plan.

If you fail to provide a satisfactory reason for missing any payments, you will be referred to the Credit Control team, and your faculty office and school or department will be notified.

If you are still unable to agree an acceptable payment plan, the University reserves the right to terminate your studies or require you to leave your accommodation.

Any outstanding debt will be referred to a debt collector, and an additional administration fee will be added to the total owed and added to your account.

Outstanding debt

You will not be permitted to register for your next year of study until you have cleared any outstanding tuition fee debts or made arrangements to do so.

If you have outstanding tuition or bench fee debts a month before the start of the relevant degree ceremonies period, you will not be permitted to graduate.

The University has a duty to inform the Home Office of money owed by international students in respect of tuition fees. If you fail to provide evidence to the Home Office of your ability to pay outstanding fees, your visa may not be extended.


If you have had to leave the University during the academic year because of unpaid tuition fees, you may be reinstated on your course if you clear your debt before the end of the academic year. However, if your absence means you are behind with your studies, you may have to repeat parts of the course, thereby incurring further fees.


Late or missed payments:

Edit this page