Transfer to another university

If you’re thinking about moving to a different university, speak to your personal tutor or supervisor for advice.

How to transfer

  • Check if your new university will admit you to the next year of the course you want to study once you've completed a year at Bristol.
  • If you can’t be admitted to a later year, you may need to apply to start again from the first year of your new course.
  • For undergraduate courses, you will normally be required to apply through UCAS.

Funding and finance

Changing course can affect your funding. If you receive financial support, such as a student loan, speak to the Student Funding Office before you transfer.

You may still be liable to pay some or all of the tuition fees for your current course. For a detailed explanation, read the Student Fees Regulations. You should also check how much the fees are for your new course. 

International students

Please refer to the Student Visa Services webpages before requesting a transfer as you may be required to apply for a new visa.

Degree classification

Transferring to a new university may change how your final degree classification (such as 2:1 or distinction) is worked out. For example, another university may not count your second year towards your final award. Check their academic regulations so you're clear about any differences.

Edit this page