The University of Bristol is committed to supporting the dual-career journey of student athletes who are aspiring to or are currently competing at international level.
Applications for Vice Chancellor's Scholarship for Sport are now open for the 2022/23 academic year. Applications will close on Monday 7 March 2022 at 10.00.
Our Sport Scholarship offer
Our Vice-Chancellor's (VC) Scholars for Sport are an inspirational group who train and compete as part of our student clubs, whilst also driving towards professional athletic careers on the world stage during their time at the University of Bristol.
Scholarships for Sport are offered to a maximum of 10 students each year for £1,500 - £3,000 per student, per annum.
Scholars are coached by a multi-disciplinary team of performance sport experts whilst on the programme and receive an excellent benefits package which supports our athletes mentally, physically and financially throughout their tenure on the programme.
Applications are welcomed from all sports, with a particular interest in applicants competing in:
Why apply for a Scholarship at Bristol?
The University of Bristol Performance Sport offer has grown and developed dramatically over the past five years.
Bristol consistently performs as a Top-10 University in the BUCS League table.
- Bristol has a prestigious Alumni Sporting Hall of Fame, featuring Olympians, Commonwealth Gold Medalists, and GB representation across a range of sports.
We provide a competitive but holistic scholarship programme for student-athletes, comprising both sport and lifestyle coaching, mentoring and support.
- Talented athletes at Bristol continue to excel in their sporting development, whilst also performing and achieving academically, throughout their time as a student.
- Through partnerships with National Governing Bodies (NGB's) and Professional Sports Clubs locally and nationally, Bristol offers development programmes for our Student Athletes to achieve outside of the University environment.
Eligability and applications
Applicants must be entering their first year of study at Bristol.
- University of Bristol must be your first-choice University with UCAS in order to be eligable for a Scholarship.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate a clear Commonwealth, Olympic and/or professional representational pathway.
For more information about the Vice-Chancellor's scholarship and other scholarships offered by the University of Bristol, eligability criteria and terms, application dates and additional guidance, visit the University's Student Finance Scholarships page. This form is separate to your UCAS application.
Maroon Athlete Scholarship
The Maroon Athlete Scholarship is available to current students not already on the VC Scholarship programme. Students are nominated by Head Coaches across four of our high-performance sports; Boat, Hockey, Men’s Rugby and Tennis.
Student receive no financial award with a Maroon Scholarship, but will benefit from:
- Additional coaching time, support and mentoring
- #WeAreBristol Sports Pass included
- Club Membership included
- Access to exclusive Scholar S&C sessions
- Group workshops with Sports Psychologist and Nutritionist
- Exclusive access to Performance Pre-Season Camps
- Maroon Scholar Kit included
- Individual/Team Coaching Sessions
- Individual Performance Profiling twice per year (May & August)
Contact our coaches
If you have any questions for our Head Coaches, please get in touch.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about playing Performance Sport or being a Student Athlete at Bristol.