Run and Walk Leaders

Become Run or Walk Group Leaders and support our network of social running and walking groups for students and staff across campus at Bristol.

What are social Run and Walk groups?

Social running and walking groups are regular, informal and friendly groups of students and staff who come together to go for a walk or run before, during or after their work or study day. Groups are led by students and staff volunteers.  

Sessions are free to attend for all staff and students at Bristol.  

Most are open to both students and staff to join, however some Groups are exclusively for staffexclusively for students, or exclusively for those in a particular faculty, school or division. Information about who is welcome at each Group will be listed in the Group’s information.  

Become a Run or Walk Group Leader

Any student or staff member can volunteer to become a Run or Walk Group Leader. You do not need to have any previous experience or qualifications.

Volunteer leaders will complete a short induction, provided by Sport, Exercise and Health staff. 

We do ask that our volunteer Leaders: 

  • Are friendly, encouraging and supportive of others 
  • Create a non-judgemental, accessible and inclusive environment 
  • Commit to hosting a minimum of one group activity per month 
  • Support the development of the Groups Network by promoting their Group and also by providing feedback to Sport, Exercise and Health, when requested (quarterly)

Leadership in Running Fitness (LiRF) qualification

You do not need a qualification to become a volunteer Running or Walking Group leader, however for those who are interested in developing their skills in this area, we offer a subsidised opportunity for students and staff to complete the England Athletics Leadership in Running Fitness (LiRF) qualification.  

This course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to: 

  • Lead safe sessions, including recommended warm-up and cool-down exercises 
  • Lead a group of mixed ability and goals 
  • Plan and organise sessions to maximise participation and enjoyment 
  • Be aware of common running-related injury and how to avoid them 

The Leadership in Running Fitness course costs £190. For students and staff, Sport, Exercise & Health will cover 75% of this cost and the participant, or partner University Faculty/Divisionfinancing the remaining 25%.  

If you are interested in completing the LiRF qualification, please complete our online expression of interest form.

Still got a question?

Get in touch with us via our enquiries form. 

Edit this page