Built on the belief that interdisciplinary is central to future developments in this field, BVI brings together researchers from science, engineering, medicine and the creative arts with the aim of addressing grand challenges in vision research.
BVI is proud to host the only current EPSRC Platform Grant in Vision Science and Engineering - Vision for the Future. BVI offers unequalled potential for progressing vision research in its broadest sense - from perception to application.
Since its inception, BVI has been the umbrella for many new research activities, several examples of which are described below.
- Perceptual video compression
- More immersive video formats
- Virtual futures
- Measuring visual engagement
- What’s really on TV?
- Driving distractions
- Colours of the cinema screen
- Visual decision making
- Follow your eyes
- Vision for autonomous locomotion
- Computational cameras
- Visual mapping & location estimation
- Seeing CLEARly through turbulence
- Activity & routine analysis
- How does the brain do vision?
- Understanding medical images
- Visual disorders & retinal development
- Child health, development & vision
- Bioimaging at the cellular level
- The impact of the visual environment
- Understanding animal vision
- Polarisation vision in humans
- Camouflage in nature and war
- Visual biometrics
- Visual signalling in animals and plants
- Painting and curating with AI
For more information about BVI led research, our regular interdisciplinary seminars and public lectures please contact