International students: before you arrive

Find out what you should do before you join us as an international student, so you don't have to worry about healthcare when you arrive.

You will need to:

  • Arrange to get yourself immunised against measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and meningitis ACWY before you leave.
  • Visit your dentist and / or optician before leaving home - dental and eye care can be expensive in the UK.
  • Consider health insurance so you are covered for medical costs before you register as a student at University.
  • Bring details in English of any past physical or mental illness requiring medical treatment.
  • Bring a full record of past immunisations, in English.
  • If you are an EEA national, bring your European Health Card.

If you have a pre-existing medical condition

As well as the checklist above, you need to:

  • Bring a summary of your medical records with you, including diagnosis and treatment details ideally translated into English.
  • If have a serious illness or you are currently undergoing treatment or investigation, bring a Doctor's letter in English, summarising your medical history.
  • Read about the support we can offer you, and tell us about your condition, so that we can provide confidential support throughout your studies. 

If you are on regular medication

As well as both checklists above, you need to:

  • Find out whether you can get your medicine in the UK. If you cannot get your medicine in the UK, bring enough for the duration of your stay.
  • If your medication is available in the UK, bring enough with you to last at least two months, to cover you until you are able to see a doctor. 
  • Bring a letter of explanation from your doctor for any medication you bring with you. 

Health care in the UK

Find out more about health care in the UK, how to access healthcare, what to expect and who is eligible. 

Edit this page