The majority of the Fry Building is Grade II listed and comprises two separate entries; one for the western U-shaped section and one for the eastern and southern wings.

A separate Grade II listing is also made for the gates, piers and attached walls forming the entrance to the western courtyard from University Road. The greater part of the Fry Building forms the core of the refurbishment project. The south western wing houses part of the School of Geographical Sciences - limited works are proposed to this part of the building.

The building exterior is architecturally ornate and much of the character of the original design remains in good order, including distinctive lead light windows, two prominent towers and a decorative castellated parapet. Intensive use of the building over the last few decades has however resulted in numerous built accretions, which impact upon the overall character of the existing building.

A detailed Heritage Statement, including an Internal Heritage Audit, ensures that the heritage significance of the building is enhanced by the refurbishment works. For example, the original laboratory benches with in-set Royal Doulton sinks will be retained in the new staff common room in the central core of the building.

Charles Francis Hansom’s original design

Diagram depicting the key phases of the construction of ‘The Fry Building’ from 1880 to 1938.
A contemporary view of the same elevation showing what was actually constructed.
Edit this page