Staff cards

A Staff UCard is issued to all registered, salaried members of staff.  The name used on your card will be your "known as" name plus your family name, as recorded in your personal details held by the University.

Collecting your card (new staff)

On or after your start date:

If you have a logon user ID you can upload your photo for your UCard: see the Photo Upload panel to the left. You can then collect the UCard yourself 24 hours after upload at Royal Fort Lodge. The photo needs 24 hours to appear on the UCard system, so please make sure you wait until the day after your upload to collect or request the card. Please bring a photo ID on the day for your UCard collection. 

Alternatively you will be able to have your photograph taken at Royal Fort Lodge, once you have started in your new post, and collect your UCard immediately.

Either way, you will need to bring with you, your UoB contract/letter of employment along with photographic Identification such as a Passport or Driver's Licence, for collection of your UCard.

If you are at one of our satellite sites and wish to have your UCard sent to you, please make contact with us via where we will be able to further advise of requirements and the processes involved in order to facilitate your needs.

Please note: This procedure also applies to Honorary Staff.

Access rights

If you need access to buildings or department offices outside standard hours contact your local UCard administrator , who can also help with general access control issues.

If you need access to a building(s) which are outside your department/faculty/division, your head of department should complete a request to extend building access form (Office document, 42kB) and email to the relevant UCard Administrator(s) for them to approve access privileges. Full details on building access control can be found on the Security Services web pages.

Staff who are also registered students

A member of staff can only hold one Staff UCard.  If you are a member of staff and also studying at the University, you should use your staff UCard for borrowing library books, access to buildings, sports membership etc.  If you need a card to identify your student status for other purposes, you can obtain a 'registered student' UCard at Card Services.   This card can only be used to identify the card holder as a student of the University.