Withdraw from your studies

It’s not unusual to have doubts about your course or university at some point. You might consider whether you want to leave altogether.

It’s a big decision, so it’s important to think through the alternatives and whether it’s the best option for you.

Think about why you want to withdraw

We recommend you start by talking to your personal tutor or supervisor, who will be able to offer support and advice.

You could also speak to our wellbeing advisers or Careers Service.

Our supports students who are experiencing financial difficulties.

What happens if you withdraw

Before making a final decision, you need to be aware of the implications of leaving university. Our teams can help talk you through what will happen.

Tuition fees

You may get a refund for some or all of your tuition fees. This will depend on the date you leave your course. Speak to your faculty office about the refund amount.

For more detailed information, find out how we calculate tuition fee refunds and download our tuition fee refund policy.

Your funding

If you receive financial support, such as a student loan, speak to the Student Funding Office. Withdrawing can affect the funding you’ll receive if you return to university.

You may also be required to pay back some or all of your student loan.

International students


Before you decide to withdraw, please refer to the Student visa guidance to understand what the impact will be on your immigration status.


If you are living in University-allocated accommodation:

  • you will not be able to remain living in your residence once you withdraw from your studies, due to no longer being classified as a student.
  • you are required to inform the Accommodation Office of your withdrawal. Read the guidance for current tenant cancellations, and complete the 'Intention to leave' form. 

If you are in private rented accommodation:

  • it is unlikely that you will be able to end your tenancy agreement early.
  • you may no longer be eligible for council tax exemption after withdrawal.
  • for more information, speak to the Accommodation Office's Private Sector Advice team.

Access to university services

  • Your UCard will no longer give you access to buildings.
  • You will not have access to systems that need a university login.

If you've definitely decided to withdraw

What you have to do

  1. Ask your school office for a withdrawal form. You will need to complete the form and get it signed.
  2. If you’re living in University accommodation, you need to complete an intention to leave form.
  3. We will confirm in writing once your withdrawal has been processed. We will inform the relevant academic departments, library and fees office.
  4. The Faculty Examination Board will consider whether you are eligible for an exit award for the work you’ve done so far. We will send you a transcript for any credit you have achieved.

Careers Service

You can use our Careers Service for up to three years after you leave, to help get where you want to be.

Edit this page