Transfer to a different course or programme

If you’re thinking about changing course, the best place to start is to speak to your personal tutor or supervisor for advice.

When you can transfer

Transfers can usually only be requested early in the academic year and must be approved by the end of the second week of Teaching Block 1.

Undergraduates may also be able to transfer at the end of their first year, although this may then involve an additional year of study.

When you can't transfer

Transfers are not always possible. For example, if:

  • the course you want to transfer to is full, or
  • you do not meet the entry requirements.

Funding and finance

Changing course can affect your funding. If you receive financial support, such as a student loan, speak to the Student Funding Office before you transfer. You should also check whether the tuition fees are different for your new course.

International students

Before requesting a transfer, please refer to the Student visa guidance, as you may be required to apply for a new visa.

How to transfer

  1. Speak to your school office for advice in the first instance.
  2. If the course you want to join is in another school, contact them to ask if they will consider your transfer request, what year of study you would be able to enter and if there are any other transfer requirements, such as specific units you need to study or pass.
  3. Fill out a request for transfer form, which you can get from your current school office.
  4. Both schools and faculties will need to agree the transfer.
  5. You will then receive an email to confirm the change. Until you've received written confirmation, you should assume you are continuing on your current course of study.

For detailed regulations about changing from one undergraduate course to another, read the University’s policy on transferring. (PDF, 112kb)

Edit this page