Course attendance

You’re expected to maintain a good level of attendance to your course or programme of study. You should engage with all formal teaching and learning activities. If you can’t attend, you must tell your school or department as soon as possible.

Long or regular periods of absence will be monitored by your school. If you don’t provide a reasonable explanation for the absence, your faculty may issue you a warning or may decide to terminate your registration.  If you’re a non-EEA student in this situation, the University has a responsibility to tell the Home Office.

Changes to your attendance

Ill health

You must tell your school as soon as you fall ill and know that you’ll miss a class or supervision session.

For a one-off illness that lasts up to (and including) 7 consecutive days, you should send in a self-certification form. You can find a copy of the self-certification form in the forms bank.

You may be asked to provide a doctor’s medical certificate for longer periods of illness, or if you are frequently ill. In this situation, you should submit an extenuating circumstances form to your school.

Extenuating circumstances

If you experience a long period of ill health or if there are other reasons why you can’t attend, tell your school using the extenuating circumstances form.

Missed coursework deadlines

If you can’t meet a coursework deadline because you are unwell or because you have been absent from teaching, you must do the following things before the deadline has passed:

Regulations and guidance

Absence due to illness and extenuating circumstances form part of the regulations and code of practice for taught programmes. Bristol Students' Union provide a guide to help you understand these processes.

Suspension of studies

You can ask for a suspension if you have long-term difficulties that affect your studies. First you need to discuss the suspension with staff in your school, such as your academic personal tutor or supervisor. Your school office will then send a written request to your faculty.

Your faculty will confirm the length of the suspension and the date you should return to university. There may be other conditions you need to meet. These will be set out in the letter from your faculty.

Transferring of withdrawing from your studies

Get support and advice about what to do and who to talk to if you are thinking of transferring your course or transferring to another university or institution or withdrawing from your studies.

Visa advice and support

Speak to the Visa advice and support team before you decide to:

  • suspend studies,
  • transfer,
  • withdraw,
  • change from full-time to part-time study.

Doing any of these things can have an impact on your student visa.

Impact on your funding

If you receive funding, such as a student loan or stipend, speak to the Student Funding Office before you suspend, withdraw or transfer. It can affect your current funding and the funding you get when you return to university.

Edit this page