Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences
Students on the one-year Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences course may be eligible for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan.
Funding your studies
For students on the Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences, loans are available from the UK government via:
- Student Finance England;
- Student Finance Wales;
- Student Finance Northen Ireland;
- Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).
New students who are over 60 can now apply for the Special Support Loan for their living costs instead of the maintenance loan.
If you have studied in higher education before, you may find that your funding for the Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences is affected. Contact the Student Funding Office for more information.
How to apply
- When you apply to Student Finance, you will be asked for a UCAS course code. There is no UCAS code as the course is not available for UCAS entry.
- If you apply for financial support online, you will need to select Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences (Cert HE) from the drop down box of course choices.
- You may prefer to use a hard copy form called a PN1. Download a copy from the Gov.uk website.
- Use the SLC course code 662004 instead of entering a UCAS course code on the form. The course name to use is Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences (Cert HE). If you don't use these details, Student Finance and the Student Loans Company will not recognise the course.
- Anything you post to Student Finance England should be sent recorded delivery so that you have proof of posting.
- If you have already applied to Student Finance but put a different course name on your application form, please phone Student Finance England (or the other respective funding providers) to request a change of circumstances. The course name on your application should be updated to Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences (Cert HE).
Repeating a year
If you fail a year of study and need to repeat it, you may not be eligible for full funding for the repeat year. If you are current student who is repeating a year due to compelling personal reasons (for example, medical reasons or bereavement), you may be able to access funding at the discretion of the Student Loans Company. Contact the Student Funding Office for more information.
University of Bristol Bursary
All UK students will automatically be considered for funding from the University of Bristol Bursary.