Postgraduate doctoral loan

Students living in England and Wales can apply for a postgraduate doctoral loan. This can help with your course fees and living costs while studying for a postgraduate doctoral degree.

How much you can borrow

The postgraduate doctoral loan is not means-tested.

It varies depending on when your course starts and the year of study in which you choose to apply.

For students starting in 2024/25, the loan amount you can apply for can be:

  • up to £29,390 if you normally live in England
  • up to £28,655 if you normally live in Wales.

The loan will be divided equally across each year of your course. You can use the loan as you wish towards any costs associated with study. It will be paid into your bank account in three instalments each academic year.

You will stop receiving your loan if you withdraw from your studies or transfer to an ineligible programme. You will still have to repay what you have borrowed.

Courses can be full or part time and last between three and eight years in length. If your course is extended beyond eight years, you may become ineligible for funding.

Scotland and Northern Ireland

If you are a UK national, or have settled status, living in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you are not eligible for the postgraduate doctoral loan. 

How to apply

You can apply for your loan during any year of your course. The latest you can apply is nine months after the start of the last academic year of your course.

Apply online at:

European Union

If you or a family member are an EU national, you may be eligible for a doctoral loan if you meet certain requirements. A list of the eligibility criteria for EU students is on the GOV.UK website.

If you completed your undergraduate degree in England or outside the UK, apply through Student Finance England. If you studied in Wales, apply through Student Finance Wales.

Further details can be found on the GOV.UK website.


You'll only repay your student loan when your income is over the threshold for your repayment plan.

How much you repay depends upon the student loan payment plan you are on. These terms will be monitored and are subject to review. For the most recent information, see the Student Loan Repayment website.

Funding enquiries or money worries

General funding queries:

Call our Student Services:
+44 (0)117 428 3000

Edit this page