Student bank accounts
Advice about opening a student bank account and getting an interest-free overdraft.
You might find that your student loan doesn't cover your living costs. One option for extra funding is a bank account with overdraft facilities.
What to think about
Use bank accounts responsibly. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions and stick to them. This helps avoid unnecessary charges, freezing of accounts and poor future credit ratings.
Look for accounts where:
- the overdraft is interest-free.
- you don't have to make an arrangement to use the overdraft to avoid charges.
- you meet all eligibility requirements. Normal requirements are that you must be on a full-time course and have been a UK resident for the last three years.
- there's an online banking service or mobile app.
- the local branch has a student account adviser.
Choosing a bank account
We recommend you get external advice when choosing a bank. You can get advice from these impartial sources:
International students: opening a bank account in the UK
Read our advice and guidance on how to open a bank account in the UK.
Funding enquiries or money worries
Money advice queries:
Call our Student Services:
+44 (0)117 428 3000