Students with dependants
Any student with children or dependant adults may be eligible for extra financial assistance.
Students from England
You can apply for extra support from Student Finance England.
- Childcare Grant - Full-time undergraduate students eligible for student finance can apply to receive 85% of their childcare costs or a fixed maximum amount, whichever is less. This grant is paid directly to the student’s childcare provider, which must be registered with Ofsted.
- Parents’ Learning Allowance - For full-time undergraduate students eligible for student finance who have children.
- Adult Dependants’ Grant - For full-time students eligible for student finance with an adult who depends on them financially.
Students from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Student Finance Wales supports eligible students from Wales with Childcare Grants, Parents’ Learning Allowance and Adult Dependants’ Grants.
- Student Awards Agency Scotland provides funding support to students from Scotland.
- Student Finance Northern Ireland provides funding support to students from Northern Ireland.
Universal Credit Benefit
Eligible students (lone parents/disabled students) may be able to claim Universal Credit benefit during term time and possibly in full over the summer. Speak to a student funding adviser to find out more.
Financial Assistance Fund
The Financial Assistance Fund supports Home (UK) and EU/international undergraduate and postgraduate students who have particular financial difficulties. The fund's purpose is to help you access and remain in higher education.