Students with dependants
Any student with children or dependant adults may be eligible for extra financial assistance.
Students from England
You can apply for extra support from Student Finance England.
- Childcare Grant - Full-time undergraduate students eligible for student finance can apply to receive 85% of their childcare costs or a fixed maximum amount, whichever is less. This grant is paid directly to the student’s childcare provider, which must be registered with Ofsted.
- Parents’ Learning Allowance - For full-time undergraduate students eligible for student finance who have children.
- Adult Dependants’ Grant - For full-time students eligible for student finance with an adult who depends on them financially.
Students from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Student Finance Wales supports eligible students from Wales with Childcare Grants, Parents’ Learning Allowance and Adult Dependants’ Grants.
- Student Awards Agency Scotland provides funding support to students from Scotland.
- Student Finance Northern Ireland provides funding support to students from Northern Ireland.
Universal Credit Benefit
Eligible students (lone parents/disabled students) may be able to claim Universal Credit benefit during term time and possibly in full over the summer. Speak to a student funding adviser to find out more.
Financial Assistance Fund
The Financial Assistance Fund supports Home (UK) undergraduate and postgraduate students who have particular financial emergencies. The fund's purpose is to help you access and remain in higher education.