Contact and report

On this page:

Report suspected phishing

If you are unsure of or suspicious about any email you receive to your University email address, please:

Report stolen password or compromised account

If you think that someone else may have access to your University of Bristol account or you have given away your password, please:

  1. Change your password immediately.
  2. Log out of your current sessions on all your devices. 
  3. Contact IT Services and explain your account may be compromised.

Report lost or stolen data or devices

If you suspect University data has been lost, stolen or disclosed, please immediately report the incident to IT Services. This includes the loss of University devices and personally owned devices used to access University data.

If a device or physical documents have been stolen or lost on University premises, please also report this to the University's Security Services.

Report loss of personal data

If you believe a suspected data loss includes loss of personal data, you must report this to the University Secretary’s Office, by emailing You should also report the loss to the Information Security team: please email

You can read more about data breaches and incidents on the University Secretary’s Office webpages.

General contacts

IT Services

To report an incident, please contact IT Services

Information Security team

Contact the Information Security team for general guidance or advice about information or cyber security.


Data Protection team

The Data Protection Officer sits within the University Secretary’s Office.

Contact the Data Protection Officer to report the loss or accidental disclosure of paper-based records. You can also contact them if you have questions about data protection law.