MLwiN conditions of purchase
- Replacement of faulty media or documentation
- Assumption of risk
- PhD student conditions
- Payment options
- Your right to cancel an order/return MLwiN
The name of one individual, normally the purchaser, will be taken to be the principal user. The principal user must be specified at the time of purchase of MLwiN. This person will be referred to as the principal user. The conditions of purchase described here apply to the principal user and to any subsequent owner of the software. (See below concerning transfer of ownership.) Purchase of MLwiN involves an agreement to the conditions of purchase. Please specify whether the institute will own the software or the user will own the software at the time of purchase.
The principal user of MLwiN and its documentation must notify the Centre for Multilevel Modelling ('the centre') if there is to be a transfer of ownership of the program or its documentation to another individual or organisation. The name of the principal user may be changed by notifying the centre in writing.
Renting, leasing, re-sale or sub-licensing of MLwiN or its documentation is not permitted.
You can install more than one copy of MLwiN under a single user license, provided that you are the sole user.
You are licensed to make up to 50 copies of the software. If a user is employed at the site, they can take one copy home provided this is within the number of copies allocated to the site.
We require you to send us a list of (up to) 5 nominated users in your organisation, including their email addresses. All technical support queries and download requests should be directed through one of these nominated users. (Further details about CMM software support).
If individuals within an organisation which has previously purchased a site licence or extended site licence, purchase an additional software or manual product, they are not entitled to a refund if they subsequently discover they may have been entitled to a licence under a previous agreement.
It is the organisation's responsibility to inform users within their organisation of the 50-user licence terms.
As site licence conditions (above) except that the extension to the site licence allows you to make up to 250 copies within the site.
Centre staff will be pleased to assist you with any difficulties you may experience in installing the program and getting it to operate as intended. This includes discussing error messages and (possible) bugs in the software. Staff will happily clarify instructions in the documentation on individual commands.
The centre seeks to improve the operation of the program and the clarity of the documentation and therefore is interested in your suggestions for improvement.
If a physical defect is found in the media on which MLwiN is distributed or in the documentation, the centre will replace the media or documentation free of charge, provided that the principal user returns the item to be replaced to the centre during the one-year period following purchase.
Although the centre has tested the software and reviewed the documentation, the centre makes no warranty or representation either express or implied with respect to MLwiN or its documentation, its quality, performance, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose. As a result, this software and documentation are sold as is, and the principal user assumes the entire risk as to their quality and performance.
In no event shall the centre be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the use of or the inability to use MLwiN or its documentation, even if advised of the possibility of such damages. In particular, the centre shall have no liability for any data stored or used with MLwiN, including the costs of recovering such data.
MLwiN and its documentation are protected by copyright. You may not alter, modify, or adapt them, including, but not limited to, translating, decompiling, disassembling, or creating derivative works. When you install the program you are understood to accept the Conditions of Purchase of MLwiN described here.
The 3-year PhD student licence software is the same as the full version except that the licence only lasts for three years. The licence is available to PhD students only, of any country. In order to qualify for the specially-reduced price please send proof of PhD status.
Examples of proof would be:
- A link to your personal web site at a university address
- An email from your supervisor sent to:email@example.com
The Centre for Multilevel Modelling reserves the right to refuse to sell the PhD licence at our discretion.
The PhD student licence is valid for a period of three years from the date of purchase. This product is only available once to each PhD student user. No technical support is provided for the student edition. For help on using MLwiN you can go to
This offer is mainly for non-UK PhD students as UK academics can currently apply for the software for free.
On request, we can offer Masters students a similar offer for a year's duration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
You can pay for MLwiN by
- Credit card, Visa or Mastercard, via our Online Shop. (Please note we are unable to accept American Express.) Please note that all credit card transactions will be charged in Sterling (GBP). Once payment has cleared, your licence will be dispatched via email (usually within 2 working days) and manuals will be sent by post.
- If your organisation wishes to pay by invoice (UK Sterling payments only), please email
email@example.com giving the following details:
- Name and email address of the person who will be using the software
- We will require a Purchase Order from your organisation giving name, email address and telephone number of the person purchasing the software and/or Finance Department contact name, email and billing address.
- VAT registration number of your organisation (for European Union customers only).
- Shipping name, address, email address and telephone number for shipment of manuals or disks.
Please note it can take up to 2 weeks for Invoices to be issued and Licences to be emailed out. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for extra costs incurred by transferring money to our account.
We hope that you will enjoy using MLwiN. Occasionally though, we know you may want to return items or cancel your order.
If for any reason you are unhappy with software purchased from MLwiN, you can return it to us in its original condition within 30 days of the date you received it.
If you have received a disc or set of manuals:
The items must be returned in a saleable condition. The seal on the disc must be unbroken, and include all original documentation from the package dispatched to you.
We reserve the right to refuse returns or to charge you our fees and expenses if the product is received otherwise than in accordance with these requirements.
To cancel this contract:
- please email firstname.lastname@example.org giving the reason for the return. Please include your order number.
- Please pack the relevant item securely, so that we receive it within 7 working days after the day of the date that the item was delivered to you.
- Remove the installer, program, and associated documentation from your computer(s).
- Send the package to:
Centre for Multilevel
University of Bristol
35 Berkeley Square
- We will notify you via email when we have received your package. As soon as we receive notice of your cancellation of this order, we will refund the relevant part of the purchase price for that item.
Note: For your protection, we recommend that you use a recorded-delivery service. Please note that you will be responsible for the costs of returning the goods to us unless we delivered the item to you in error or the item is faulty.
If you have received a download version of MLwiN: Please note that MLwiN does not permit the return of or offer refunds for electronic software downloads.