Mental health and wellbeing services

We have a range of mental health and wellbeing services to support you. Our wellbeing team will connect you to the right support or service.

Our wellbeing services are free and open to all undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students.

Student Wellbeing Service

The Student Wellbeing Service offers help and guidance if you are experiencing challenges, or want some extra support. Student wellbeing advisers will listen to you and help plan and problem-solve with you.

Student wellbeing advisers work with academic personal tutors, supervisors and other staff to address any personal and emotional difficulties you might experience, helping you to make the most of your academic studies.

They will put you in touch with specialist services who can offer you specific support that is right for you.

Residential Life

Residential Life offers a support network for students living in university accommodation.

Every university residence belongs to one of our residential villages (North, West and East). Each village has a Residential Life team of full-time trained support staff. They are there to give you expert help, support and advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

The team includes chief and senior residents who live in the residences. They provide approachable and familiar faces and will listen to you and offer support for whatever concerns or worries you have. 

The team also works with other support services around the University if needed.

Contact details are available for each of the villages: North, West and East Residential Support Centres

Student Counselling Service

The Student Counselling Service provides an accessible non-judgemental service to students who are referred to them; you cannot book sessions directly.

They offer short-term individual counselling with experienced counsellors or therapeutic groups where you can discuss your issues with peers, led by a trained counsellor. 

These groups include a BAME group, women's group, cognitive behavioural groups and others. Find out more about our Request a counselling session.

Disability Services

Disability Services support students with a range of disabilities, learning difficulties and other health and mental health conditions. Find out which students are supported.

If it is appropriate, an adviser will discuss the support you can receive through Disabled Students’ Allowances, such as mentoring.

Sexual Violence Liaison Officers

Our team of male and female Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs) are specially trained to support any students who have experienced any form of sexual violence.

Find out more about the support the SVLOs can offer.

Mental health and wellbeing strategies

Edit this page