Evidence of a disability

You must provide us with evidence of your disability so that we can make recommendations for your support.

Evidence requirements

  • Evidence should indicate that your disability/condition is ongoing. Specifically, that it has lasted (or is predicted to last or may well last) 12 months or more.
  • It is helpful if your evidence indicates how your disability/condition may affect your studies.
  • If you are asking your doctor/consultant for evidence, show them our Guidance for GPs providing medical evidence (Office document, 43kB) so that the evidence you get will be useful.
  • Prescriptions are not acceptable as evidence.
  • Evidence originally in another language must include an independently certified translation to English. Evidence will not normally be accepted without the English translation.

Evidence for each disability

Select each drop-down to see what medical evidence we can accept for different disabilities.

If your disability is not listed

If you have or suspect you have a disability that is not listed above, contact the Disability team to find out what supporting evidence you can submit.

If you do not have acceptable evidence

If you have evidence which is different from the documents listed, submit what you have. We can tell you the next steps, including how to get new evidence if necessary.

If you believe you have ADHD or autism and do not have a diagnostic report, contact the Students' Health Service or your own doctor to find out if there is a diagnosis on your record and to discuss options.

How to send us your evidence

Include your full family name and date of birth. 

Evidence to apply for DSAs

If you are applying for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs), your funder (such as Student Finance England) will also need evidence to decide if you are eligible for funding. The evidence your funder needs may be different to what the University needs to make recommendations for reasonable adjustments.

Edit this page