Visa and important documents

Find out whether you need a visa and what documents to bring with you.

Visa guidance

Check whether you need a visa to study in the UK.

Visit our Student Visa website for more information about visas, your immigration status and working in the UK.

Documents to bring to the UK

In your hand luggage

Bring these documents in your hand luggage when you travel to the UK.

Important documents

You may be asked to show these at the border when you arrive:

  • visa decision letter
  • printed email showing your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies number (CAS)
  • bank statements (this is only required if you are studying for less than six months)
  • accommodation details.

Travel insurance

If you have bought travel insurance, bring a copy of the documents in your hand luggage.

Other documents to bring

We recommend you bring these with you. They do not need to be in your hand luggage.

Education documents

  • Original copies of relevant certificates and examination results
  • English translations of relevant certificates and examination results.

Health documents

  • Details (in English) about any past physical or medical illness requiring medical treatment
  • a full record of past immunisations
  • your European Health Insurance Card if you are eligible to continue using it in the UK (EEA students only).
Edit this page