Visa and important documents
Find out whether you need a visa and what documents to bring with you.
Check whether you need a visa to study in the UK.
Read the latest advice about coronavirus (COVID-19) and visas for international students.
Our Student Visa Services team can help you with questions about visas, your immigration status and working in the UK.
Documents to bring to the UK
In your hand luggage
Bring these documents in your hand luggage when you travel to the UK.
You may be asked to show these at the border when you arrive:
- visa decision letter
- printed email showing your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies number (CAS)
- bank statements
- accommodation details.
If you have bought travel insurance, bring a copy of the documents in your hand luggage.
Before you travel, check what documentation you need and UK government advice about entering the UK.
Other documents to bring
We recommend you bring these with you. They don't need to be in your hand luggage.
- original copies of relevant certificates and examination results.
- English translations of relevant certificates and examination results.
- details (in English) about any past physical or medical illness requiring medical treatment.
- a full record of past immunisations.
- your European Health Card if you have one (EEA students only).