Student document check (right to study)
To complete registration, some students need to present their documents to the University to prove they can study in the UK.
As part of your registration, you will be told whether you need to present your documents to be checked to finalise your registration. Your online student record will also include these details.
If you are required to, but do not complete this step, you will not be able to register for your course of study.
We are required to check that the information you provide meets UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirements and ensure that you have the right to study in the UK.
This check is based on the nationality listed in your application and student record. It is not based on your fee status, so you may be required to attend a check even if you are a UK resident and pay home fees.
Students who must attend a student document check
You will need to have your documents checked if:
- you are a new student or enrolling on a new course and your nationality is subject to immigration control
- you are returning to the University after a suspension
- you are a returning student and were not able to travel to the UK last year
- you are a returning student and you have not yet provided all the required documents
- you have a new Student visa for any other reason
- you do not have a nationality listed on your student record.
Book an appointment to have your documents checked
We are open:
- 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm
- 10:00 am to 12:00 noon
- 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm.
You must confirm your registration details to book an appointment.
You can drop in without an appointment. However, we may occasionally need to cancel drop-in sessions at short notice. Please book an appointment to ensure you are seen.
What to bring to your appointment
You need to bring as many of the below documents as you can to your appointment:
- visa (BRP) and visa vignette sticker (normally in your passport)
- evidence that you have made a new visa application (e.g. visa application form, receipt from your visa application)
- flight details of the first time you arrived in the UK travelling on a Student visa
- if you have a digital status, generate a Sharecode. The code must start with the letter 'S'.
These must be original documents, not scans or photocopies. We store copies of your documents as part of our sponsor duties.
If you are a visitor:
- You will still need to come to an in-person check, even if you travelled through eGates and do not have a physical visa. Please bring your flight tickets and passport.
- If you have any questions, book an appointment. If you are unable to book, you can come to see us at Senate House. We will see you on the day if possible or help you book an appointment if it is busy. If you have further queries or cannot attend in-person, email email@example.com. We cannot guarantee we will respond quickly due to staff carrying out face-to-face appointments.
If you do not complete an international student document check
You will not be able to register here if:
- you do not provide the documents requested
- your documents do not meet UKVI requirements.
Questions about the student document check (right to study) check should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about Student visas
Find out what your responsibilities are if you have a Student visa.