The School of Modern Languages teaches single and joint honours degrees via our five departments
Expertise in modern languages has never been more important as the United Kingdom forges a new relationship with its European partners and seeks to develop its trading and cultural ties throughout the world.
Our degree programmes will equip you to operate with a high level of fluency in one, two or three languages, and help you develop the skills to understand, explain and negotiate the rich cultural landscapes of our partners in Europe and the wider world.
The integral relationship between language and culture – in literature, visual cultures, history, thought, politics and linguistics – is at the heart of our degree programmes and the key to success in promoting dialogue and trade between Britain and the wider world.
- BA Modern LanguagesOne single honours degree available, four years full-time. This is a flexible degree in which you can choose to study one, two, or three modern European languages
- FrenchEleven BA honours degrees and one LLB honours degree
- GermanEleven BA honours degrees and one LLB honours degree
- ItalianTen BA honours degrees
- Portuguese Ten BA honours degrees
- RussianSeven BA honours degrees
- SpanishEleven BA honours degrees and one LLB honours degree
- BA Comparative Literatures and CulturesOne three-year programme and seven four-year joint programmes with a language
Admissions for Czech for 2021 entry Czech courses have been suspended
The department also contributes to the following multidisciplinary courses:
Apart from French, each language can be studied from beginners’ level (ab initio) in most degree combinations.
Spend your third year living and studying abroad in a country relevant to your degree (or two countries if you intend to undertake a joint-honours course).
The school's Multimedia Centre provides our students with dedicated, state-of-the-art facilities to enhance their studies.
Applying to Bristol
Request more information
Ask us a question, sign up for our updates or request a prospectus.