In Memoriam Caroline Williams (1962-2019) 21 August 2019 The School of Modern Languages were greatly saddened by the loss of a dear colleague and friend Dr Caroline Williams, Senior Lecturer in the Department of Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American Studies, who died on 9 August 2019.
- George Szirtes: Translate for the Shop! 12 July 2021 International Booker Prize winner George Szirtes delivered the keynote lecture at Bristol Translates 2021, the literary translation summer school. Szirtes reflected on his work as a poet, translator and, most recently, judge on the prize he had won himself earlier. He explained that while translation is an activity often carried out “in the lab,” it is important that it should be done “for the shop” so that its fruit can be enjoyed “in the street.”
- Literary translation panels explore networking and business development 9 July 2021
- English PEN Translation Manager addresses Bristol Translates 6 July 2021 Making sure translators’ voices are heard, their work is properly paid, and the UK publishing landscape becomes ever more diverse – these were some of the issues discussed by Will Forrester, Translation and International Manager at English PEN, on the second day of Bristol Translates 2021.
- Translation graduates winning three ITI awards 1 June 2021 The School of Modern Languages (SML) congratulates three MA Translation graduates for their recognition in this year's Institute for Translation and Interpreting (ITI) Awards.
- Bristol Translates greatly expanded due to popular demand 19 May 2021 For the first time this summer, the School of Modern Languages (SML) will host Bristol Translates, a literary translation summer school. Applications have come in from all over the world, exceeding the organisers’ most optimistic expectations.
- La Civetta April 2021 27 April 2021 Despite the strange times, we have created an amazing issue of La Civetta centred on 'community'
- In Memoriam John Hibberd 1938 - 2021 13 April 2021 John Hibberd, a long-standing member of Bristol’s German Department, sadly passed away after a period of ill health on 7 April 2021.
- March 2021 edition of Pensador available to read now! 23 March 2021
- Workshop 1 - Telling the Story of Sport: Narrating Sport in a Global Context 2 October 2020 Originally planned as a two-day conference, ‘Telling the Story of Sport’ is a series of online workshops that explores the multiple ways in which various sports have been culturally constructed and experienced.
- New book coming out on Thursday 3rd October 30 September 2020