- 'How Can We Live a Meaningful Life?' - Annica Auer
- 'Bridging the Gap between Ethical Holism and the Animal Liberation Movement' - Jonathan Fryer and Kai Tebay
- 'Does Descartes Defeat the Sceptic?' - Toby Ingham Thomas
- 'Recognise, Represent, Reset, Rebel: James Acaster’s Comedy as Rebellion in the Face of the Absurd' - Rohan Jobanputra
- 'The Problem of Expert Testimony, and the Problems with Social Epistemology’s Attempt to Resolve it' - Asher Miller
- 'Are Social Media Just a New Form of Exploitation for the Benefit of Platform Providers?' - George O'Neill
- 'Does the Government’s Attack on Critical Race Theory Prove Structural Racism?' - Kavya Sharma
- 'Thinking with Feeling: Reason and Emotion in Morality' - Dean Sheils
- 'What is a Meme?' - Claudia Vulliamy
Foreword from the Subject Editor
It is with great pleasure that I am able to present this year’s contribution to the BILT Journal in Philosophy. In a year that has been characterised by isolation, solitude, and reflection, these papers encompass not only those themes, but also engage with timely and crucial discussions in a culture which is increasingly interrogating previously held ideas on what constitutes knowledge, understanding, and truth.
The range of papers this year is diverse and encompasses a wide range of themes. From papers based in traditional philosophical discussion, to papers discussing and analysing meme culture, institutional racism, and contemporary comedy on streaming services, it is apparent that there is an exciting and innovative approach to philosophy coming out of the Bristol student body.
It has been an honour to lead the editorial team, in a year in which community and togetherness has been increasingly tough.
I would especially like to thank the editorial team for all of their hard work and commitment to the Philosophy board at this year’s journal: Mark Carver, Georgiana Townley, Nikki Vora, Oliver Matthews, Wiship Zhong.
Subject Editor for Philosophy
With thanks to:
Georgiana Townley - Deputy Editor
Niharika Vora - Deputy Editor