Widening Participation Research Summer Internships
The Widening Participation (WP) Research Summer Internships provide promising undergraduates from underrepresented groups with hands-on experience of research during the summer holidays, with the aim of encouraging you to consider a career in research.
You’ll gain professional experience through a funded internship, gaining knowledge and experience in your chosen subject. It will help support your application for postgraduate study and other research jobs.
During the internship, you’ll take part in sessions to improve your research skills and gain insights into postgraduate study and research at the University of Bristol. There are also social opportunities for you to get to know the other scholars, as well as staff and students at the University.
You will be paid £10.90 per hour.
The Widening Participation Research Summer internships will last six weeks from Monday 3 July to Friday 11 August 2023 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday). Please note, some project dates may vary.
Research project may be done remotely, in the laboratory, office, clinic or field and may involve experimental or theoretical approaches, depending on the type of research a supervisor undertakes.
Supervisors and projects
Projects and supervisors will be announced in February 2024.
To apply for the WP Research Summer Internship you must:
- be a UK (Home) fee-paying student registered on a relevant undergraduate course in the UK;
- be in the middle year(s) of your degree.
Where an internship is oversubscribed, we will give priority to those who meet all or most of the following criteria:
- you are from an ethnic group that is under-represented at the University of Bristol (Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one of these groups);
- your postcode is listed as a '1' or '2' in the POLAR4 column on the POLAR checking tool
- you are a mature student (aged 21 or over when you started your first undergraduate course);
- you are a care-leaver or an estranged student;
- you have a disability. Please note that the term disability is very wide; further details of what may be considered a disability are in the definition of disability.
How to apply
Applications will open in February 2024.
Applications for 2023 have now closed. Applications for summer 2024 will open in February 2024
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.