Internships and opportunities
The University of Bristol is committed to the diversification of our postgraduate student body. We recognise the value of a varied cohort and want to encourage people from a range of backgrounds to apply for postgraduate study with us.
Bristol Master's Scholarship
New for 2022: The Bristol Master’s Scholarship will award 50 talented home students from underrepresented backgrounds within our student community £2000 each to help support their studies.
Access Postgrad scheme
As a prospective postgraduate student, you may have reservations about the time, skills and resources needed to access postgraduate study. The Access Postgrad scheme provides peer mentoring and skills development sessions to help current University of Bristol undergraduates decide whether postgraduate study is right for them.
We anticipate Access Postgrad to start at the end of November 2022 with all participants due to complete by April 2023.
Access Postgrad is able to offer 10 participants a fee waiver up to £5,000 towards postgraduate taught tuition fees for study commencing in September 2023.
To be considered for the funding, you must:
- be in your final year of undergraduate study at the University of Bristol,
- be a home-fee paying student,
- be from a background underrepresented at the University and
- complete the Access Postgrad scheme.
All applications to Access Postgrad who meet these requirements will be considered for the funding and will be assessed and scored using the selection criteria. Find further information on the terms and conditions of this funding award.
In addition to the 10 funded places, we will be recruiting 20 non-funded participants who will benefit from the mentor scheme and skills development sessions. Applicants who are in their second and final year of undergraduate study are eligible to apply.
How to apply
To be considered for the Access Postgrad scheme you need to:
- be a current undergraduate student at the University of Bristol and be on track to graduate in September 2023 or September 2024,
- be a home-fee paying student,
- be interested in studying at postgraduate taught level with us in the future,
- meet one or more of the University’s widening participation criteria.
If you are interested in applying, please complete our application form, which will open on 19 September and close at 9am on 17 October 2022.
For further information on the scheme, please email the Postgraduate Recruitment team at email@example.com
Details about the scheme
The programme will consist of peer mentoring with a current postgraduate student, skills development sessions and optional teaching sampling.
Previous skills development sessions have covered the following topics:
- how to apply and fund your postgraduate study,
- how to write a personal statement for your programme of interest and network with academic and School staff,
- study skills at postgraduate level and the differences between undergraduate and postgraduate study,
- how to manage your wellbeing alongside postgraduate study,
- careers support, how to demonstrate the value of a postgraduate degree, and future career planning.
Funded participants of Access Postgrad will have four peer mentor meetings and non-funded participants will have three peer mentor meetings. All meetings will be with a trained current postgraduate student at the University of Bristol.
Summer research opportunities
Each year we provide promising undergraduates from underrepresented groups with hands-on experience of research during the summer holidays. This is a fantastic opportunity to find out more about further study and a career in research.
Applications are currently closed.