Prove your status as a student at Bristol

You cannot access student status letters from 1 August 2024 until you re-register for the new academic year. Registration opens on 22 August 2024.

You might be asked to confirm you are a student at the University of Bristol. You can generate or request a letter to confirm this.

 On this page:

Reasons you may need to confirm your status include:

Create a standard student status letter 

You can generate a student status letter to confirm you are registered here.

It will usually include: 

  • your student number
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • mode of attendance (full-time or part-time)
  • programme of study
  • start date
  • expected end date.

Your letter will be produced as a PDF. 

Create a student status letter 


You can choose to include your address.

If you live in University-managed accommodation, your flat or room number will be included.

However, this does not prove that your address has been checked by the University.

If you need to prove your address, you should do this using another type of approved document.

If your details are incorrect

Your details are from your student record.

If they are incorrect, you should update your details online before you create a student status letter. 

Extra information

In some cases, you may need to confirm details not included in the standard student status letter. Contact Student Services to request a letter. Student services can advise on what can and cannot be added.

Phone: +44 (0)117 428 3000 

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 8 pm 

Bank letter 

International students

If you are an international student, and need to open a UK bank account, generate a bank letter.

Home students

If you are a UK student and your bank needs to confirm your status, use the standard student status letter.

Travel letter (visa/Schengen)

If you are applying for a schengen visa, you will need to prove your status as a full-time student. In most cases, a standard student status letter will be suitable.

Letters addressed to an embassy

In some cases, your letter may need to be addressed to the embassy of the country you are applying to. Check the embassy website to see if this is needed. If it is, contact Student Services, detailing:

  • the name of the requesting embassy
  • what information they require.

Other official documents 

For a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number, or other visa-related letters contact the Student Visa team. 

If you need a personal reference, contact your personal tutor or supervisor.

Interim transcripts can be requested on the transcript page.

Former students

Documentation for former students may include:

For personal references, contact your personal tutor or supervisor. 

If you are not sure which type of letter you need, or do not see it listed above, contact Student Services.

Third party requests

Due to data protection regulations, we are unable to provide third parties with student information. Students need to generate a self-serve letter and share this with you.

If you need more information than is included in the standard student status letter, the student can request it from Student Services.

Academic verification of a former student can be requested via the Request an award verification letter page.

Edit this page