Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) for UK home students

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) can cover some of the extra costs you may have during your studies because of a disability.

DSAs are grants only available to UK home students. It is not a means tested fund and they do not have to be repaid.

DSAs may fund:

  • one-to-one support such as study skills tuition and specialist mentoring
  • specialist equipment and software
  • travel costs
  • printing costs.

We advise all UK home students with disabilities to apply for DSAs at the same time as applying to university. Do not delay or your support may not be ready for when you start.

Apply for DSAs

You may be able to apply for DSA online, but this will depend on the funding body you are applying to.

Our Applying for DSAs workshop offers guidance and support to help you with your application.

The Diversity and Ability website also provides helpful information on DSA and the application process. 

Student Finance England and Student Finance Wales

You can apply online if you are a full-time undergraduate in receipt of a tuition fee and/or maintenance loan. All other students, including full-time undergraduate students not in receipt of student finance, part-time undergraduate students, and full-time/part-time postgraduate students must complete an application form and send it by post or email.

Find out how to apply:


You can also request application forms in alternative formats such as braille and large print.

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Student Finance Northern Ireland students can apply online if they had funding in the past. If are unable to apply online, you can download an application form.

Student Awards Agency for Scotland

Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) students need to complete an application form.

Undergraduate social work bursary

Students on an undergraduate social work bursary can apply for DSA using the normal application process for your region of the UK.

NHS-funded students

If you are funded by the NHS, you must apply to the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) for your DSA. Read more about applying for DSAs on an NHS bursary in the NHSBSA DSAs guide.

NHS secondments

If you are employed by the NHS and are seconded (transferred temporarily) onto a healthcare course, you can apply for DSA using the normal application process for your region of the UK using the links above.

UK research council funded students

Students funded by UK Research Councils are eligible for DSA, but you must contact us to apply.

Edit this page