China Scholarship Council – University of Bristol joint-funded PhD Scholarship
Fully funded PhD scholarships for Chinese students to carry out research at the University of Bristol.
The China Scholarship Council (CSC)/University of Bristol joint-funded scholarships programme offers 60 fully funded PhD scholarships for up to 48 months of research at the University of Bristol.
The University of Bristol provides full tuition fees for each PhD programme.
The China Scholarship Council provides:
- a stipend (as specified by the Chinese Government)
- a return international airfare between China and the UK
- funding to cover passport and visa fees.
All scholarship students are required to return to China for 2 years after graduation.
- be no more than 35 years old
- have a strong academic background
- be a permanent resident of China when you apply. Chinese students who are already studying outside China may be eligible - see CSC policies
- fulfil the entry requirements set by the University of Bristol
- have an appropriate level of English
- meet the UK governemnt visa requirements
- meet the CSC's criteria, including:
- if you're applying from China (domestic applicant), you must have obtained an Undergraduate/Masters degree (or be in the process of completing one). If you have already completed your Masters, you must be employed.
- if you're currently employed in China, your employer must support your application and provide a reference letter.
- if you're applying from outside China (overseas applicant), you must have obtained a master's degree within the past 12 months or you must be currently completing your master's degree. (If you return to China after your study abroad, you must follow the rules as a domestic applicant).
If you have already started your PhD programme at the University of Bristol, you are no longer eligible to apply for this scholarship. Students from other UK or overseas universities are only eligible for the scheme if they are applying to start their PhD programme as a new student at the University of Bristol.
Visiting students or scholars
If you are interested in applying for CSC funding as a visiting student or scholar, please get in touch with the School to discuss in detail.
How to apply
To receive this scholarship, you need to secure a place to study on a PhD programme at the University of Bristol. You must then be nominated for the scholarship by the University, and have your nomination endorsed by the China Scholarship Council.
- Apply directly for a postgraduate research programme. To be eligible for this scholarship, you must submit your completed application by midday (UK time) on Thursday 1 December 2022. You must specify that you wish to apply for the scholarship by selecting 'CSC-UoB joint PhD scholarship' on the funding source drop-down list in your application form and put '100%' as the funding proportion.
- The University will assess the applications. Students who are given an offer of study from the University will then be considered for a nomination for the China Scholarship Council-University of Bristol Joint PhD Scholarship.
- The University will inform the successful candidates that they have been nominated for the scholarship and provide each candidate with a formal nomination letter. After receiving the offer letter from the University, nominated candidates must apply directly to the China Scholarship Council for their endorsement of the scholarship nomination by Friday 31 March 2023 (to be confirmed). Candidates will need their offer letter to do this. The list of required documents for application can be found on the CSC website: for Chinese domestic applicants and for overseas Chinese applicants. More information for applicants can be found in CSC’s Q&A document.
- Candidates must inform the University of Bristol of the progress of their application to the CSC, including the dates of submission and any interview dates.
- The CSC will draw up a list of successful scholarship recipients in late May or early June 2023. All candidates who are successful in their funding application to the CSC will then be contacted by the University of Bristol.
- Registration for 2023 PhD research programmes at the University of Bristol will take place from September 2023.
In order to be eligible for consideration for a CSC-University of Bristol PhD Scholarship, you must submit your completed application for your PhD programme by midday (UK time) on Thursday 1 December 2022.
If you're nominated by the University of Bristol, you must apply directly to CSC for the scholarship by Friday 31 March 2023 (to be confirmed).
You may apply for any research area of the University of Bristol: visit our faculty research pages to find out about more than 80 PhD programmes across the six faculties in the University.
The University of Bristol also leads and participates in more than 35 world-leading, cohort-based Doctoral Training Centres. This results in one of the largest concentrations of funding and support for collaborative PhD training in the UK.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.