Moving out of University accommodation

Things you need to do when moving out of your University accommodation and how to avoid any unwanted charges.

Here is the list of all the things you need to do when moving out of your University accommodation. 

Please make sure you complete all the steps listed on this page to avoid any end of tenancy charges.

For guidance, you can refer to the Student Cleaning Expectations and Guidance document. 

If you are moving out of one of our Partnership properties, your property team will provide you with information on vacating your room, including room inspections, damage charges and returning your key. 

Download your moving out guide

Things you need to do

Check your tenancy end date

  • Your tenancy end date is the date you need to move out by. You will not be able to stay in your room past this date. 
  • Your tenancy dates are listed in your tenancy agreement which you can access via the Accommodation Portal.
  • If you move out before your tenancy end dateyou will remain liable for rent until the date listed in your tenancy agreement.  

Your room

  • Remove all your belongings from your room. 
  • Check all items listed in the room inventory are in your room. 
  • Clean the room (and en suite if you have one) thoroughly and remove any rubbish. 
  • As you leave, take photos of your room and communal areas to help you challenge any potential charges.  
  • Close any windows and lock your room door as you leave.

Communal areas

  • It is a shared responsibility between you and your flatmates to clean the communal areas in your flat/corridor. 

  • Clean any shared spaces thoroughly including bathroom and kitchen areas. 
  • Remove all your belongings from any communal areas or storage cupboards. 
  • Defrost and clean the fridge-freezer.
  • Remove any food and drink from the fridge-freezer. 
  • Remove any rubbish or recycling.

Collect post and set up a mail redirect

  • You need to collect all your mail and any parcels from your mail room or pigeon holes.
  • Any mail delivered after you have moved out will be returned to sender, so we recommend that you set up a mail redirect with Royal Mail. 

Remove your bike from the storage area

  • If you have a bike, you must remove it from the bike storage area either in your accommodation or on campus.
  • As part of the Abandoned Bicycle Policy, the University will remove any bikes left on University property. 

Return your keys

  • As you leave your accommodation, you need to return all your keys, including for your mailbox key if you have one. 
  • If you’re living in a University-owned residence, you can hand keys in to your Student Support Centre or to the Accommodation Manager. 
  • If you return your keys in the post, you must ensure that it is recorded delivery.

Donate to Bristol Big Give

  • You can donate unwanted items to Bristol Big Give.
  • Donation points can be found across campus and in University accommodation. 

Accommodation inspections and charges

After you have moved out, your room and communal areas will be inspected to check that it is clean, no damage has been caused and that no items are missing.  

If we need to remove anything that you have left behind, or if there is any cleaning needed or damage to your room or communal areas, you may be charged.   

You can be charged for:  

  • lost or un-returned keys, 
  • rubbish or personal items you have left behind, 
  • extra cleaning or redecoration, or 
  • repairs or replacements that go beyond normal wear and tear. 

Where the damage or lack of cleaning occurs in a communal area and no one has accepted responsibility for the damage, the charge will be shared between all students responsible for that area. 

You can view the list of end of tenancy charges. 

Need accommdation over the summer?  

If you need accommodation after your tenancy end date, you may find our information on finding short-term accommodation in Bristol useful. 

If you are interested in staying in University accommodation, you won’t be able to stay in your current room, but we have limited availability in a small number of residences. You can apply for short-term summer accommodation but please note that availability is extremely limited.

Moving from halls to house

What you need to know if you are moving out of University accommodation and into private rented accommodation

Edit this page