Open access funding

Please check the Open Access Agreements page before you apply for open access funding. We may have an arrangement with the publisher that allows free open access. 


There is limited funding available to cover open access Article Processing Charges (APCs) for articles published by University of Bristol authors which acknowledge funding from the UK Research Councils or The Wellcome Trust. 

To be eligible for funding, articles must: 

  • Be peer reviewed and not commissioned; 

  • Acknowledge funding from a University of Bristol held grant from a funder that has provided a block grant (UKRI, Wellcome Trust, CRUK, BHF) 

  • Have a corresponding author affiliated to the University of Bristol; 

  • Be published under a CC BY attribution licence in a journal which complies with your funder's requirements 

Apply for open access funding 

If your paper is eligible: 

  1. Check that the journal you want to publish in complies with your funders’ requirements for open access: this can done via Sherpa/FACT 

  1. Before you sign any agreement with the publisher, complete an open access claim form to log your claim.  

  1. The Open Access Team will check your request, notify you whether your claim has been accepted, and provide you with further instructions. 

  1. When your claim has been accepted, submit the relevant forms to the publisher. You should select CC BY attribution as the publication licence. 

  1. If you receive any subsequent correspondence from the publisher about the payment (e.g. invoices, payment links), please forward this to the Open Access Team:

Open access claim form

Make a claim for gold open access publication of UKRI, CRUK, BHF or Wellcome funded papers.

Page, colour and other publication charges (including membership) remain the responsibility of the author or department.

Contact us

Open Access team

Research Support Librarians
Edit this page