News and features
Student award winner: ‘I want to show my kids it’s never too late to pursue your dreams’ 5 June 2023 A student who won a special award from the University of Bristol says she hopes it shows her children “you can always change courses and make a new path for yourself”.
- Human factors affect bees’ communication, researchers find 5 June 2023 Human influences have the potential to reduce the effectivity of communication in bees adding further stress to struggling colonies, according to new analysis.
- Student award winner: ‘I want to show my kids it’s never too late to pursue your dreams’ 5 June 2023 A student who won a special award from the University of Bristol says she hopes it shows her children “you can always change courses and make a new path for yourself”.
- New five-year funding award continues world-leading integrative epidemiology research 2 June 2023 The Medical Research Council Integrative Epidemiology Unit (MRC IEU) at the University of Bristol has been awarded funding to enable a further five years of world-leading research.
- Alcohol dependency in adolescence, but not consumption, linked with later depression risk 1 June 2023 Adolescents who show signs of alcohol dependence are more likely to develop depression by their mid-20s, according to a new study led by University of Bristol and UCL researchers.
- New study shows how adaptations to living in a cold climate promoted social evolution 1 June 2023 For the first time ever, scientists have uncovered evidence that a species’ long-term adaptation to living in an extremely cold climate has led to the evolution of social behaviours including extended care by mothers, increased infant survival and the ability to live in large complex multilevel societies.
- Fellowship for satellite specialist helping students reach for the stars 1 June 2023 An inspirational University of Bristol academic whose practical lessons have helped her students to gain coveted positions in the space industry has been named as a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Death of the paper business card? Student’s start-up promises business connection on a budget 1 June 2023 A student’s start-up is helping bin the paper business card, with a physical e-card that shares details when tapped on a phone.
- Five Bristol academics awarded funding to work with Catapult Centres via Researcher in Residence scheme 31 May 2023 Five Bristol academics have recently won funding from the national Research in Residence (RiR) funding competition which funds academics to work on an innovation project in partnership with the Catapult Network.
- Bristol quantum expert lands prestigious fellowship 31 May 2023 Bristol Physicist Dr Giulia Rubino has been awarded the esteemed Royal Commission 1851 Research Fellowship.
- Record-breaking student weightlifter called up for Commonwealth Championships 31 May 2023 A medical student who recently broke two British weightlifting records has been picked to represent England at the Commonwealth Championships.