News and features
Bristol ranked as world's 17th most sustainable university 5 December 2023 The University of Bristol has been named as one of the most sustainable universities in the world, according to a new global league table.
- Dose matters: HIV drug could prevent coronaviruses, study finds 5 December 2023 Coronaviruses are a global public health risk, with three highly infectious species, including SARS-CoV-2, emerging in the last 20 years. New research by the University of Bristol has shown how an HIV drug could stop many coronavirus diseases, including the SARS-CoV-2 variants, when given to infected cells at the right concentration. The findings could strengthen the arsenal of antiviral drugs available to combat current and future coronavirus outbreaks.
- Bristol ranked as world's 17th most sustainable university 5 December 2023 The University of Bristol has been named as one of the most sustainable universities in the world, according to a new global league table.
- Professor Mark Birkinshaw, 1954-2023 1 December 2023 Mark Birkinshaw, a distinguished Professor of Cosmology and Astrophysics in the School of Physics, died in July. His colleagues and friends Professor Belinda Wilkes and Emeritus Professor Steven Phillipps share their memories of Mark and recall his significant contributions to the field.
- Bristol co-development will give AI window into complex human activity 1 December 2023 More than 1,400 hours of footage capturing humans performing tasks simultaneously from their point of view and externally, will help give AI models an understanding of how humans carry out activities.
- More people getting into difficulties with credit 1 December 2023 New research has revealed high levels of consumer debt among the majority of UK households.
- Student with narcolepsy to run 70km with University pals 30 November 2023 A student with narcolepsy will need to nap several times as he and five friends take on an epic 70km (43.5mile) run.
- Professor Mike Jones, 1953-2023 30 November 2023 Emeritus Professor Mike Jones died in September. His colleagues Professor Mark Clatworthy and Professor Stuart Cooper offer this remembrance to a pathfinder in many areas of accounting research who served as Professor of Accounting from 2009 to 2020 and as Head of Department of Accounting and Finance from 2009 to 2013.
- New research demonstrates the ability of ADDomer™ to tackle viral infections 29 November 2023 New research has demonstrated the potential for the ADDomer ™ platform to produce thermostable vaccines and reagents to tackle viral infections The study led by the University of Bristol and Imophoron, a biopharmaceutical company developing thermostable nanoparticle vaccines using its ADDomer platform, is published in Antibody Therapeutics today [29 November].
- Drugs already licensed could be trialled to potentially treat secondary brain cancer, new research finds 29 November 2023 The largest review of papers for brain cancer that has spread from the lungs has found abnormalities in the brain cancer and for which licensed drugs could be clinically trialled to find out if they could treat the disease. The research led by the University of Bristol and published in Neuro-Oncology Advances also found genetic differences between smokers and non-smokers.
- Network of robots can successfully monitor pipes using acoustic wave sensors 29 November 2023 An inspection design method and procedure by which mobile robots can inspect large pipe structures has been demonstrated with the successful inspection of multiple defects on a three-meter long steel pipe using guided acoustic wave sensors.