News and features
Providing free school meals to all secondary pupils is feasible and acceptable, finds study 22 March 2023 Providing free school meals to all secondary pupils is feasible and acceptable, and brings many potential benefits, finds a new University of Bristol-led study of a pilot scheme in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, published today [22 March].
- Handshakes and hugs: why the science of touch is essential to our wellbeing 28 March 2023 Why is a hugged person a healthier person? How does a shared handshake make you more likely to tell the truth? University of Bristol social neuroscientist, Professor Michael Banissy, one of the foremost experts on touch, explores the fascinating new science of one of our most overlooked senses in 'When we touch', published this week [30 March].
- Research calls for more consumer protection to combat double danger of gambling with cryptocurrencies 28 March 2023 A new study has highlighted how cryptocurrency investors often suffer gambling-related harms – and online gambling outlets accepting cryptocurrency as wagers pose even greater risks.
- HIV and hepatitis C virus monitoring needs to increase to achieve global elimination goals 28 March 2023 Countries must intensify efforts to track HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV) incidence among people who inject drugs, and to prioritise this group in prevention and elimination work, according to new University of Bristol-led research, published online in The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology.
- Student pals take on 2,000 mile charity tandem ride – but have never ridden a tandem 28 March 2023 Two friends will pedal 2,000 miles from Bristol to Istanbul on a tandem they bought for £100. The only hitch? They’ve never ridden a tandem before
- Earth’s first plants likely to have been branched, study finds 27 March 2023 A new discovery by scientists at the University of Bristol changes ideas about the origin of branching in plants.
- Bristol researchers awarded BBSRC Discovery Fellowships 24 March 2023 Two academics from the University of Bristol are among the 22 researchers to receive Discovery Fellowships from the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC).
- 19-year-old student picked for Wales Six Nations squad 23 March 2023 University of Bristol student Jenna De Vera has been picked for the Welsh Six Nations squad.
- New festival about love and loss starts in May 2023 23 March 2023 A new festival that aims to open up conversations around death and bereavement will take place in May. Good Grief Weston will offer 30 workshops and events over eight days (Monday 1 to Monday 8 May) across more than 20 venues.
- Depression in Alzheimer's has different risk factors to depression in those without dementia 22 March 2023 Depression in Alzheimer's has different risk factors than depression in older adults without the disease, finds a major new study in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. The University of Bristol-led research looked at over 2,000 people with the disease to explain why current anti-depressants are ineffective for people living with depression in Alzheimer's.
- Dozens of Bristol subjects ranked among best in the world 22 March 2023 Many of the subjects taught and researched at the University of Bristol are world-leading, finds a global rankings released today.