News and features
'Plogging' graduate starts 30 city clean-up tour of UK 2 December 2022 An Indian environmentalist is strapping on his trainers to help clean up 30 UK cities in 30 days.
- Fossil discovery in storeroom cupboard shifts origin of modern lizards back 35 million years 2 December 2022 A specimen retrieved from a cupboard of the Natural History Museum in London has shown that modern lizards originated in the Late Triassic and not the Middle Jurassic as previously thought.
- Nice touch: Bristol academic bags award for ground-breaking 3D printed fingerprint 2 December 2022 Professor Nathan Lepora and his team were celebrating last night after their landmark robotic finger-tip which makes human-like ‘nerve’ signals was recognised at the Elektra Awards 2002.
- 'Plogging' graduate starts 30 city clean-up tour of UK 2 December 2022 An Indian environmentalist is strapping on his trainers to help clean up 30 UK cities in 30 days.
- Ellen Percival, 1988-2022 30 November 2022 Ellen Percival, a much loved and treasured member of Library Services, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in May this year. Ellen was 34 years old. Their friend and colleague Jez Stein offers remembrance and appreciation.
- Significant gaps and inequalities in the provision of specialist child weight management services in England, study finds 30 November 2022 Over three quarters of acute NHS trusts in England (77%) do not have a child weight management service, despite being responsible for providing specialist services for the most severely obese, according to a study led by researchers at the University of Bristol and funded by the National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR).
- Three Bristol academics recognised with honours from Royal Aeronautical Society 29 November 2022 It’s skies the limit for three University of Bristol academics who have received awards from the Royal Aeronautical Society distributed for achievement, innovation and excellence.
- University of Bristol appoints inaugural Dean for its new Business School 29 November 2022 The University of Bristol has appointed an inaugural Dean and Professor of Strategy for its new Business School.
- Bristol environmental scientists lead new research to improve quality of UK rivers 28 November 2022 Five new and much-needed research projects have been launched to investigate how pollution affects UK rivers.
- Innovative hydrogen energy storage project secures over £7 million in funding 28 November 2022 A consortium, involving the University of Bristol, has been awarded £7.7m from the Net Zero Innovation Portfolio (NZIP) of UK Government’s Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) to develop pioneering hydrogen storage.
- Pocket feature shared by deadly coronaviruses could lead to pan-coronavirus antiviral treatment 23 November 2022 Scientists have discovered why some coronaviruses are more likely to cause severe disease, which has remained a mystery, until now. Researchers of the University of Bristol-led study, published in Science Advances today [23 November], say their findings could lead to the development of a pan-coronavirus treatment to defeat all coronaviruses—from the 2002 SARS-CoV outbreak to Omicron, the current variant of SARS-CoV-2, as well as dangerous variants that may emerge in future.