Visiting Ukrainian Doctoral Scholarships
The University of Bristol is offering eight funded scholarships for visiting doctoral students who are currently registered as doctoral students at a Ukrainian university. The scholarships will allow you to study as a visiting student at the University for a period of up to six months.
Applications now closed
Applications for the Visiting Ukrainian Doctoral Scholarships have now closed. Please contact email@example.com if you have any queries regarding an existing application.
What is a visiting doctoral student?
As a visiting doctoral student, you will be able to work with colleagues at the University of Bristol to undertake research related to your doctoral project. You will remain registered as a doctoral student at your original institution. This scheme is not designed to support transferring your PhD, rather it will enable you to continue your studies for a set period of time here at the University of Bristol before continuing them at your home institution.
During this time, it is expected that contact with your home supervisor will be maintained whenever possible.
Who is eligible?
You are only eligible to apply if:
- you are currently registered as a doctoral student at a Ukrainian university, as long as the visiting doctoral period of study does not exceed the end date of your doctoral programme
- your research has a demonstrable, clear relationship with expertise at Bristol.
- you can obtain an appropriate visa that will allow you to come to the UK to study. See the government website for details on UK visa support for Ukraine nationals. The University will be able to support student visa applications and further information can be found on the Student Visa webpages. If you are already in the UK on a Student visa please contact the Student Visas team for advice.
If your PhD is funded, it is your responsibility to check with your funder that you are able to take up a visiting doctoral student scholarship at the University of Bristol.
What support is offered?
The scholarship covers:
- a £1338.50 stipend per month for six months
- up to £1,500 for relocation costs
- accommodation when you initially arrive in Bristol (if needed - further details to be discussed with successful candidates).
Any tuition and research costs will be covered by the University of Bristol. If feasible, we recommend that you bring a laptop computer with you.
What do I need to do to apply?
You will need to identify and contact an appropriate academic able to offer supervision in the area of your research project for the duration of the scholarship.
Please note that fit with University of Bristol’s research is a key selection criterion, so do spend some time looking at academics’ relevant research interests to ensure a good fit to your own doctoral research. You can do this via the relevant faculty pages, staff research profiles or searching the University of Bristol Research Portal.
Once you have established contact and obtained the support of a Bristol academic, you will need to make an application for this scholarship via the online form below.
How do I complete an application?
The application form should be completed and submitted by you in collaboration with your potential supervisor. You must adhere to all the word counts.
We have provided a PDF version of the application form so you can see the content:
But please note, all applications must be submitted via the online form.
The supervisor should provide their statement to you, and you must include it in the online form as written by them.
Please be aware that you may lose the contents of your online form if you lose connectivity or have to refresh the page. We therefore suggest you draft your application in a Word document prior to inputting this into the online form.
The submission deadline for your scholarship application is midnight (UK time) on Wednesday 8th June 2022.