Bristol weather expert wins prestigious national accolade for advancing understanding of extreme heat and health 19 July 2023 A leading climate scientist from the University of Bristol, has today won an award in recognition of his pioneering work to advance understanding of global weather extremes and their impact on society.
- University of Bristol to host UK’s most powerful supercomputer to advance AI discovery 14 September 2023 The University of Bristol has been chosen to host a new national supercomputer research facility, focused on artificial intelligence (AI), the government announced today. Look out for some world leading, high resolution, and impact relevant new climate projections from Bristol.
- Shell life species not competitors as they adjusted to Earth’s largest extinction 14 September 2023 One of the biggest crises in Earth history was marked by a revolution in the shellfish – brachiopods, sometimes called ‘lamp shells’ were replaced everywhere ecologically by the bivalves, such as oysters and clams. This happened as a result of the devastating end-Permian mass extinction which reset the evolution of life 250 million years ago.
- New research reveals why and when the Sahara Desert was green 14 September 2023 A pioneering study has shed new light on North African humid periods that have occurred over the past 800,000 years and explains why the Sahara Desert was periodically green.
- Bristol academic lands grant to study gold mining, illegal logging and land-grabbing in the Amazon 12 September 2023 A University of Bristol academic has landed a grant worth more than £1.3m to study clandestine economic activities that give rise to disastrous environmental consequences such as small-scale gold mining, illegal logging, and land-grabbing in the Amazon rainforest.
- University of Bristol Partnership for Net Zero Aviation in the South West launches 12 September 2023 A Technology Innovation Partnership for Net Zero Aviation in the South West has been launched. Focused on delivering transformational innovation to advance net zero flight, the founding partners are the Universities of Bristol and Bath, the National Composites Centre (NCC) and the advanced propulsion R&I centre IAAPS. The partnership will create a significant national capability that combined far exceeds working independently.
- Artworks offer glimpse into emotional impact of energy use in the near future 6 September 2023 An art commission led by a University of Bristol academic designed to ask important questions about the potential mental and emotional impacts of future energy use will go on display at the V&A Museum in London later this month.
- Bristol partnership project receives £4.6 million to retrofit homes for Net Zero 6 September 2023 Researchers from across the GW4 Alliance of Bristol, Bath, Cardiff and Exeter universities will work with industry, community groups and local authorities to transform existing housing into ‘Beyond Net Zero’ liveable homes as part of the Green Transition Ecosystem awards.
- Prestigious Fellowship for engineer working to improve safe drinking water in India and Sub-Saharan Africa 6 September 2023 An engineer who is helping to improve the provision of safe drinking water in Sub-Saharan Africa and India has been selected for a prestigious Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship.
- Bristol academic awarded Government funding for climate change resilience project 30 August 2023 A University of Bristol researcher has received a portion of £1.4 million reserved for boosting UK infrastructure protections against global warming.
- Quantum computing company co-founded by Bristol scientist lands £13m investment 21 August 2023 A pioneering quantum computing company co-founded by academics from University of Bristol and the University College London (UCL) has landed more than £13m in funding to develop its revolutionary technology.