Faculty study support

The University is committed to supporting your academic development throughout your studies. Extra study support or guidance as you plan your future career is available to you.

Faculty and school contacts

Faculty offices

Although most of your day-to-day dealings will be with staff in your school, you may need to contact your faculty office for certain matters, including:

  • registration queries
  • requests for letters confirming your student status
  • requests for transcripts
  • advice on regulations, progress issues, procedures and appeals.

Each faculty office has a Faculty Education Manager who is supported by staff who deal specifically with undergraduate or postgraduate student matters.

School offices

Staff in your school office will be your first point of contact for most queries. They can provide information and advice on a wide range of topics. Each taught programme will have a Programme Director, in overall charge of the planning for and delivery of your programme, and there may also be Unit Directors for specific parts of your programme and Year Coordinators or Year Tutors to look after arrangements for each year group. Schools may also have specialist officers, such as Safety Adviser, Disability Support Officer or International Students Officer.

Personal tutor

When you arrive at the University you will be given a personal tutor; a named academic member of staff from within your school who can help you with your academic and personal development whilst you are at University. This is crucial support during your studies. Your personal tutor will know you and how you learn; and will help you get the most out of your studies. Personal tutors are very important in your transition to University and throughout your University career; it is therefore vital that you get to know them and use them for support and advice - that is what they are there for!

Each department or school also has a senior tutor. The senior tutor is an academic who oversees personal tutoring in the department or school and who provides additional support if you need it.


Research students will have one, or more, supervisors who provide academic and pastoral support. It is important to keep in regular contact with your supervisor. In your first meeting, soon after you start, you should agree the format and frequency of future meetings and agree other ways you will keep in contact.

The regulations and code of practice for research degree programmes sets out what you can expect from supervision and review of your progress, and opportunities for skills development.

Study skills service

Our study skills resources have been co-created by students, lecturerers and support services to help you get the most out of your studies.

Peer assisted study sessions

If you are a first-year student, peer assisted study sessions provide a friendly enviorment where you can talk to other students about your course or student life.

Student reps

Every course and year group has its own Student Rep whose main responsibility is to collate and communicate the views of their coursemates at termly meetings. Student Reps work with staff at all levels to improve the student experience.

Advice and support

If your personal circumstances start to affect your studies, make sure you tell your academic personal tutor or your supervisor. They can offer you advice and support.

Edit this page