Overseas Risks

Transit Insurance

Insurer: Royal and Sun Alliance

Transit insurance can be provided on request for packages being sent abroad via DHL or other couriers.  Please contact the Insurance Office and provide the following information:

  • Date of sending
  • Pick up address
  • Delivery address
  • Carrier
  • Will it be air freight or shipped?
  • Description of equipment - make, model etc
  • Value of equipment/ material
  • Who will pack it?
  • How will it be packed?

Please note we will require at least 48 hours notice in order to put cover in place.

Staff working overseas

If you will be working overseas at CERN, on a Marie Curie overseas fellowship or another secondment relating to your work at the University of Bristol please contact the Insurance Office for advice before you travel.  You will need to ensure you have adequate travel insurance (including cover for medical expenses), personal accident insurance and may require local Workmen’s Compensation cover and/or private medical cover as well as (property) renters insurance.  Please note, the University does not provide any insurance for cars rented overseas - in every case you will need to arrange this locally.  You will probably find that local motor insurance will comprise a number of different components and you need to decide what will be best for your needs:

- Basic third party liability cover to fit legal requirements of the jurisdiction

- Collision damage waiver (CDW) - accidental damage to the hire vehicle itself.  Normally subject to an excess

- Excess waiver (deleting excess under CDW above)

- "Super cover" cover including things like punctures and battery failures