Years 1 and 2
These pages are for GP teachers. If you are interested in studying medicine at Bristol, please see details of our MB ChB Medicine course.
Teaching in Year 1 and Year 2 are on both on a Thursday, but they are never on the same dates. This is so that GP tutors can teach both year groups if they wish to do a regular teaching session across the year. To help make this easier for you, we have designed an Early Years Teaching Package.
Primary Care placements form part of a course called Effective Consulting which explores clinical reasoning, clinical communication and clinical skills. Effective Consulting is integrated into student’s case-based learning cycles (these are fortnightly cycles covering Health and Wellbeing in Year 1, and systems and symptoms in Year 2).
In Years 1 and 2 students go to BNSSG and central Bath practices. A session is three hours long. Students should meet patients in surgery and at home, observe consultations, and practice gathering clinical information through history, examination and understanding investigations, relevant to the case and consulting skill they are studying. Students alternate their visits to primary care with visits to the hospital environment. You need to give feedback during the session and individually at the end of the last session. You can have a group of four or six students.
More about Year 1...
In Year 1, students have a total of seven or eight sessions in a practice. In October/November, students attend fortnightly on four occasions as part of an introductory course called Foundations of Medicine which introduces them to the healthcare environment and talking with patients and clinicians. The students then come out to practices three or four more times across the year and will focus on a different case and consultation skill each time.
More about Year 2...
In Year 2 there are a total of five or six sessions in a practice. In the Autumn students cover: Skin, Body Defence, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, and Anaemia, Blood & Clotting. In GP, students should learn about the clinical themes being taught from the patients they meet in practice. After Christmas, the cases cover specific symptoms; chest pain, breathlessness, abdominal symptoms, joint pain, urinary thirst and weight loss, headache and collapse. For this symptom-based teaching, GP tutors should invite two patients with conditions relevant to the symptom the students are covering and help students practice gathering clinical information through history, examination and investigation.
Useful links for Year 1 GP teachers
Foundations of Medicine October - December
- GP1 Teacher guide 2021-22 (PDF, 507kB)
- GP Teacher session plan 1 for 21.10.21 & 4.11.21 (PDF, 189kB)
- GP Teacher session plan 2 for 18.11.21 & 2.12.21 (PDF, 179kB)
Human Health and Wellbeing January - May
- GP1 HHW session plan January 2022 - Muskuloskeletal (PDF, 525kB)
- GP1 HHW session plan February 2022 - Cardiovascular (PDF, 710kB)
- GP1 HHW session plan 17 February 2022 - Respiratory (PDF, 493kB)
- GP1 HHW session plan 3 March 2022 - Gastroentorology (PDF, 499kB)
- GP1 HHW session plan 17 March 2022 - Urology (PDF, 903kB)
- How to access Memory Problems video (PDF, 2,128kB)
- GP1 HHW session plan 5 May 2022 - Endocrine (PDF, 742kB)
- GP1 HHW session plan 19 May 2022 - Neurology (PDF, 734kB)
- For more information on student wellbeing, see our Student Wellbeing page
Useful documents and links for Years 1 and 2 GP teachers
- https://mediasite.bristol.ac.uk/Mediasite/Play/b7db72965c474de0ab1c21869a9b274b1d - recording of Year 1 and 2 webinar 23/9/21
- Reflective template for GP teachers (PDF, 87kB)
- Reflective form for Year 1 students' clinical encounters (PDF, 48kB)
- accuRx protocol for student teaching (PDF, 126kB)
- Effective Consulting online - FAQs for patients (PDF, 145kB)
- Effective Consulting online - FAQs for students (PDF, 93kB)
- Using the 'Meet Now' function in Microsoft Teams (PDF, 207kB)
- Teams guide for GP1 and GP2 teachers (PDF, 354kB)
- Activity for students to practice introducing themselves to patients (PDF, 99kB)
Useful links for Year 2 GP teachers
We will update this fully with the 2021-22 handbooks once they are ready; some 2020-21 documents can be found towards the end of this list.
Effective Consulting Tutor
If you are interested in becoming an Effective Consulting tutor, please see our guide, Effective Consulting Tutor Recruitment (PDF, 382kB)
Academic: Dr Lucy Jenkins
Administrator: Alison Capey
Academic: Dr Matt Ridd
Administrator: Alison Capey
For more images of medical student artwork, visit Out of Our Heads