Information for the public

Are you a member of the public with an interest in research?

If you would like to get involved in our research please contact us.

Who can get involved?

By 'public' we mean anybody who isn't an academic researcher. Good research happens when you have a team of experts. As a member of the public, you are an expert in 'lived experience'. Here are some examples of what we mean:

  • You might be a patient: you might have a particular health condition which gives you an insight into life with an illness or special set of needs. Or you could be someone with experience using primary healthcare, like going to the GP.
  • You might be a parent: you have experience of caring for children, their health issues and what being a parent feels like.
  • You might be a carer: you have experience of looking after someone with a health condition.
  • You might be someone who has experience of particular situations: you may have supported someone with mental health issues, or you may have been affected by significant life events; for example, domestic violence or bereavement.
  • You might be a member of the public with an interest in healthcare research.

Jargon busting

Academic research can be full of jargon. We try to avoid it. But if you do need clarification on any of the terms we have used, please let us know or have a look at Involve's research jargon buster.

Further information

What is the Centre for Academic Primary Care?

What is primary healthcare?

Edit this page