Reader in the Economics of Public Policy
Telephone: 0117 33 10821
CMPO Working Papers
Deborah is a Reader in the Economics of Public Policy at the CMPO and is currently the Centre’s Deputy Director. She holds a part-time Senior Lectureship at the School for Policy Studies and is a member of the Centre for Urban and Public Policy Research. From 2007 to 2010, Deborah was Deputy Director of the ESRC Public Services Programme, University of Oxford.
The effects of choice, voice and other user-based mechanisms on public service delivery, and the impact of targets and rankings on public service performance. Much of her recent work has focused on these issues in the education context.
- Propper, C and D Wilson (2011), The use of performance measures in health care systems, in: A Jones (ed), The Elgar Companion to Health Economics, 2nd edition, London: Edward Elgar (forthcoming, December 2011)
- Burgess, S, E Greaves, A Vignoles and D Wilson (2011), Parental choice of primary school in England: what types of school do different types of family really have available to them?, Policy Studies, 32(5): 531-547
- Wilson, D (2011), Comparative Analysis in Public Management: Reflections on the Experience of a Major Research Programme, Public Management Review, 13(2): 293-308
- Wilson, D, S Burgess and A Briggs (2011), The dynamics of school attainment of England’s ethnic minorities, Journal of Population Economics, 24(2): 681-700. Download the web appendix (pdf, 206kB)
- James, O and D Wilson (2010), Evidence from the comparison of public service performance, Evaluation, 16(1): 5-12
- Propper, C and D Wilson (2010), Competition and choice: the place of markets in connecting information and performance improvement, in: Walshe, K, G Harvey and P Jas (eds): Connecting Knowledge and Performance in Public Services: From Knowing to Doing, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Wilson, D (2009), Exit, voice and quality in the English education sector, Social Policy and Administration, 43(6): 571-584
- Atkinson, A, S Burgess, B Croxson, P Gregg, C Propper, H Slater and D Wilson (2009), Evaluating the impact of performance-related pay for teachers in England, Labour Economics, 16(3): 251-161
- Wilson, D and A Piebalga (2008), Performance measures, ranking and parental choice: an analysis of the English school league tables, International Public Management Journal, 11(3): 344-366
- Burgess, S, R Johnston, T Key, C Propper and D Wilson (2008), The transition of pupils from primary to secondary school in England, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 33(3): 388-403
- Johnston, R, S Burgess, R Harris and D Wilson (2008), ‘Sleepwalking towards segregation’? The changing ethnic composition of English schools 1997-2003: an entry cohort analysis, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 33(1): 73-90