Emergency accommodation

The Accommodation Office provides short-term emergency accommodation to current students. Examples of situations where you might need to stay in emergency accommodation include: 

  • a fire, flood or similar that means you cannot remain in your usual accommodation,
  • a concern that your personal safety is at risk if you stayed in your usual accommodation. 

If you feel that your circumstances are such that you need a place in emergency accommodation, how you should request accommodation depends on your situation:

  • If your need is relating to your welfare, you should contact the Student Wellbeing Service who are the first point of contact for all wellbeing concerns. They will be able to offer you support with the situation your are dealing with, and if they feel that your situation requires emergency accommodation they will be able to make the arrangements with the Accommodation Office on your behalf.  
  • If your need is relation to a non-welfare issue, you should contact the Accommodation Office. You will need to give us your current address and your student number and we will ask you some questions about why you need emergency accommodation. You can email us, telephone on 0117 954 6640, or call in to the Accommodation Office in person during our opening hours

If you need emergency accommodation outside normal opening hours you should contact the Residential Student Support Centres by calling 0117 428 3300.

Your stay in emergency accommodation

The nature of emergency accommodation means it is often organised quickly and so when you first move in the Residential Life team will ask to you to read and sign a the emergency accommodation terms and conditions document (PDF). Within a couple of days of moving in, the Accommodation Office will send you a temporary licence document (PDF) to occupy the room, which will include promising to abide by the local rules for the residence and to pay any rent due. You will need to sign this and return it.  

You will be expected to pay the normal rent chargeable for the emergency accommodation for any stay of more than one night, however the charge can be waived by permission of Head of Accommodation Office for a maximum of two weeks where the student is liable for rent on another accommodation.

We may refer you for extra advice or support, such as to our Private Sector Advisers to help you get released from your current tenancy and/or to claim rent back from your landlord, the Student Funding team for help with finances or to Student Services. You should note that unless the accommodation is uninhabitable a private landlord will not usually release a tenant from their rent liability and you will usually need to find a replacement tenant. The Accommodation Office can try to help you with that.

If you have paid rent on another accommodation which you can’t live in, for example because of flood or fire, the accommodation office will help you reclaim that rent.

Any charge for rent will be added to your student account.

You will be able to extend your stay in emergency accommodation by agreement with the Accommodation Office, who will seek advice from the Residential Life or Wellbeing team. As a general rule the Accommodation Office will aim to move students who require a stay of more than two weeks into permanent accommodation as quickly as possible.


Having problems with your private accommodation?

We've got downloads with advice on plenty of common problems and are here to help if you run in to trouble while renting in the private sector. 

Edit this page