Welcome to the Run Series support hub. Access an ever-growing library of resources to help you get over the finish line.
Our training plans are downloadable and will help you safely get off your couch and over the finish line.
You can start at week-1 or jump to the week that suits your current ability to get started.
5k training plans
Couch to 5k 8 week plan - Start by 23 Jan 21 Run Series - Training plan - 8 week Cto5k (PDF, 3,276kB)
Couch to 5k 6 week plan - Start by 6 Feb 21 Run Series - Training plan - 6 week Ct5k (PDF, 5,551kB)
- Couch to 5k 4 week plan - Start by 20 Feb Run Series - 4wk 5k plan (PDF, 5,429kB)
10k training plans
- Beginner 16-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 16 week beginner 10k (PDF, 3,223kB)
- Beginner 12-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 12 week beginner 10k (PDF, 3,223kB)
- Intermediate 10-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 10 week intermediate 10k (PDF, 3,204kB)
- Run-walk 8-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 8 week run-walk 10k (PDF, 3,166kB)
- Challenger 6-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 6 week challenger 10k (PDF, 3,148kB)
Half marathon training plans
- Beginner 16-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 16 week runwalk Half Marathon (PDF, 6,172kB)
- Beginner 12-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 12 week beginner Half Marathon (PDF, 3,247kB)
- Intermediate 12-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 12 week intermediate Half Marathon (PDF, 3,300kB)
- Advanced 12-week plan - Run Series - Training Plan - 12 week advanced Half Marathon (PDF, 3,292kB)
Our 1200+ strong #WeAreBristol community is friendly & supportive. From student, staff, alumni & community members, who are total beginners, right the way through to seasoned runners & cyclists; they will have an abundance of top tips to share with you!
Advice on staying safe during your training.
Running and Wellbeing
Information, guidance and content to help you think more holistically about running not as exercise but as a fundamental part of, and opportunity to enhance your overall wellbeing.
- Blog: Running for Wellbeing - how to make your ‘personal best’ less about numbers and more about being your most authentic, happiest self and living your best life.
Planning your route
If you are starting out, keep your routes simple by planning your routes in a loop or out & back. This way you can measure progress at ‘that’ corner or a particular lamppost.
Advice approved by our in-house specialists on how to prevent and treat injuries.
'Mobility Monday' and 'Strength and Core' were classes led by our Sports Medicine Clinic Physiotherapist, Henry. Classes were streamed live in the weeks leading up to the 5k in March. All eight classes are now available to watch on-demand via the University of Bristol Sport App. We will notify all runners when more live sessions become available!
- On-demand Mobility class (20 minutes)
Warm-ups and cool-downs
Guidance from our Health and Fitness Team about effective warm-ups and cool-downs for your running sessions.
Tips on when and what to eat to best fuel your training.
Psychology and mindset
Advice from our Sport Psychologist, Connor Grant, on topics such as motivation and goal setting during your training.
- Infographic - Run Series - Taking time to value your goals (PDF, 332kB) by our Performance Team Sports Psychologist, Connor Grant, aka The Sport Guru
You can access the Run Series support hub, as well as a full schedule of live and pre-recorded classes and more, on our University of Bristol Sport app.