Transcripts and other documents
Document request form (MS Word, 54kB) for Student status letters and Council Tax exemption certificates.
You can apply and pay for your transcript via the Online Shop.
What are academic transcripts?
An academic transcript is an official document that shows:
- The units which have been taken in each year of study
- The assessment and reassessment (as appropriate) grades for each unit
- The total number of credits gained in each unit taken and in each year of study
- The degree awarded, degree classification and date of award (where applicable)
Transcripts can be provided in sealed envelopes with the University stamp to prove that the document is authentic.
Please note: We are currently not able to provide hard copies.
Verification of awards and replacement degree certificates
The Education Process Improvement and Records Team provide verification of awards and replacement degree certificates. For further information, including fees payable, see the awards, certificates, results and verifications page.
If you have any queries you can contact the Education Process Improvement and Records Team by email: email@example.com
How much do transcripts cost?
Undergraduates are entitled to free copies of transcripts whilst they are enrolled at the University. Each student will receive one free copy, posted to their home address by the Faculty Office shortly after graduation. Please note that this policy only began after 2008, if you graduated prior to 2008 you will not be entitled to a free transcript. Thereafter charges will be applied as follows:
- Students who graduated after 2005 will be charged £10 for the first copy and £5 for each subsequent copy.
- Students who graduated before 2005 will be charged £20 for the first copy and £5 for each subsequent copy.
How long will the transcript take to produce?
Normally transcripts are prepared within 10 working days from the receipt of the application, except during busy periods (especially following graduation and the autumn term). It is therefore a good idea to order your transcripts as early as possible to ensure they are ready in time for any deadlines.
International students should visit Open a bank account in the UK for information about banking in the UK, including guidance on how to produce a bank letter.
- Student Status Letter: Please note that we can sometimes print status letters whilst you wait if you come to the Faculty Office in person, with the exception of busy times of the year such as graduation and registration.
- Certificates for Council Tax Exemption: Please note most students will not require a council tax exemption certificate. There is further information about this on our council tax page.
If you are a current student and you need a new CAS in order to apply for a visa extension please contact International Student Visa Advice and Compliance for further advice and to make an appointment with an adviser. The contact details can be found at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/directory/visas/contacts/
If you will be a new student and you have not yet received your CAS please contact us as follows:
Postgraduate programmes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate programmes: email@example.com
Please remember to quote your student number in all correspondence with us.
The Faculty Office can provide confirmation that you are a student at the University via a student status letter (see above). If you require a character reference you will need to contact your School.
Please note that we will need a signed consent form from you to release any information directly to a potential employer/recruitment agency (they should supply this).
The Faculty Office can supply student references to third parties (such as potential employers/recruitment agencies), however, the third party will have to supply evidence to the Faculty Office of the student's consent to release their academic information. If verification of award is required for former students, requests will have to be sent to the Examinations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit the Exams Office web site for more information.
If you have any queries about the information on this page please contact the Faculty of Science Education Administrator by e-mail to email@example.com