Join us as a staff or student visitor
We welcome visiting staff and students to work or study with us.
We are very proud of the rich tradition of collaboration here at Bristol Medical School, and we seek to build upon our appeal to the brightest scholars worldwide. In addition to those studying here full-time, we currently welcome visiting staff and students, to work or study with us.
The Medical School does not participate in the Erasmus student exchange programme, there are several ways staff and students can join us as a visitor.
If you are a member of staff in the Bristol Medical School and considering accepting a visiting student, please refer to the visiting and occasional student policy.
Visiting as a member of staff:
Visiting as an UG student:
Visiting as a PG student:
If you are considering studying with us to complete research that is not an established post of employment or a standard programme, you should first contact a potential supervisor www.bristol.ac.uk/medical-school/people. It is important to discuss the following with the supervisor before entering into an agreement:
- Expectations - what research you will undertake, the methods you will learn, and what supervision you will receive.
- Cost - you should discuss the cost of your visit, which may vary depending on youor mode of study, and your topic ares. For example: Laborstory work will incur a higher cost than desk-based research.
- Visa - if you are an international student you will be required to comply with home office legislation. For further information please visit the student support pages www.bristol.ac.uk/directory/visas
- English Language Requirements - if you are an international student and require a tier 4 visa to study then there is a minimum IELTS score requirement, for further information please contact the Health Sciences Faculty office email@example.com
- Qualifications and references - before visiting, you will normally be expected to provide relevant qualifications, and two academic references.
There are two ways that you can visit the Medical School either as a visiting student, or as an occasional student.
If you are interested in studying with us, without gaining credit (e.g. a qualification or a contribution to a qualification you are currently registered for) you would be classed as a visiting student. A fee will be incurred for this type of study and should be agreed with the School prior to registration. The fee will vary depending on the study undertaken.
If you are studying for credit you would be classed as an occasional student, and a fixed fee pro rata from the programme studied would be charged.
You must complete an online application using the postgraduate admissions Apply Yourself system www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply . There is currently no ‘Visiting Student’ option in the Programme Choice section of the online form so you should select 'Faculty of Health Sciences' and then ‘PhD Medicine’, stating clearly in the Personal Statement section that you will be a visiting student. Please note the visiting student policy requires a letter of agreement between student and School. This should be drafted by your proposed supervisor, signed by you and your supervisor, and uploaded to the online application.