Transcripts and other documents

Transcripts and other documents


An academic transcript is an official document that shows:

  • The units which have been taken in each year of study
  • The assessment and reassessment (as appropriate) grades for each unit
  • The total number of credits gained in each unit taken and in each year of study
  • The degree awarded, degree classification and date of award (where applicable)

How to request a transcript

If you would like to request an undergraduate or postgraduate academic transcript, please visit our online shop. You should use this link for all transcript requests, even if no payment is required.  

You will need to include your student number, name, date of birth and programme of study. 

How much do they cost?

You are entitled to one free copy of your transcript each year while you are a student, and up to a year after graduation. Any additional copies are then charged at £10 for the first copy and £5 per copy after that, if you graduated from 2005 onwards.

If you graduated before 2005 the initial cost is £20 and then £5 per copy.

We regret that academic transcripts cannot be issued until payment has been received (if appropriate).

How long will they take?

Normally transcripts are prepared within 5 working days from the receipt of the application, except during busy periods following graduation and the autumn term. It is therefore a good idea to order your transcripts as early as possible to ensure they are ready in time for any deadlines.

Transcript queries

If you have a question about transcripts, please contact us via email:

Student status letter

You may need to get a letter that confirms you are a student at the University of Bristol. You can generate a student status letter online that confirms your enrolment.  

Council Tax Exemptions 

Check if you need to apply for a council tax exemption  

Bank letters

International students can generate a bank letter which confirms all the details you need to open a UK bank account. 

Verification of awards and replacement degree certificates

The Education Process Improvement Team provide verification of awards and replacement degree certificates. For further information, including fees payable, see the awards, certificates, results and verifications page.

If you have any queries you can contact the Education Process Improvement Team by email:


If you wish to set up your sponsorship, please visit:

Visa and CAS enquiries, including Visa letters

If you have a query about your visa or CAS, please visit:
For VISA letters, contact the VISA team.


Information for alumni can be found on our alumni and friends page.

Edit this page